Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to create a mirror like finish on a large wood slab with live edges. Doing this for the first time, I am experimenting with a wooden disk before I attack the slab. For the holes and gaps I was using wood filler, which is an eyesore by itself as it doesn’t match the wood (alligator juniper). I applied 5 coats of shellac and let it fully cure for several days. Then I started wet sanding the disk, moving from 400 to 1,000 to 2,000 grit. Here is where my problem started but it only got worse: the sanding residue settled into all hairline cracks and the live edge. After applying compound and polisher, I now have thin white lines all over the disk. What should/could I have done differently?
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
26,214 Posts
I want to create a mirror like finish on a large wood slab with live edges. Doing this for the first time, I am experimenting with a wooden disk before I attack the slab. For the holes and gaps I was using wood filler, which is an eyesore by itself as it doesn’t match the wood (alligator juniper). I applied 5 coats of shellac and let it fully cure for several days. Then I started wet sanding the disk, moving from 400 to 1,000 to 2,000 grit. Here is where my problem started but it only got worse: the sanding residue settled into all hairline cracks and the live edge. After applying compound and polisher, I now have thin white lines all over the disk. What should/could I have done differently?
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
If the cracks are more than superficial the cracks will come back to haunt you. If they are superficial you can clean the surface and use an artist liner brush and apply shellac to just the cracks. After two or three coats with a brush, wet sand the surface level with a block of wood and some wet and dry sandpaper. Then spray one more coat of shellac over the entire surface. Then sand with 2000 grit and buff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your immediate response! I didn’t think of compressed air. I will give it a try. A syringe might actually be a solution (if the epoxy is thin enough) and I can avoid sanding grooves into the wood. I have other suitable wood pieces: the disk is done.
One more question: what to do about wood fillers not matching the wood color? I can’t lug a 150 lbs slab around to have the filler color matched ...

·
Registered
26,214 Posts
Thank you for your immediate response! I didn’t think of compressed air. I will give it a try. A syringe might actually be a solution (if the epoxy is thin enough) and I can avoid sanding grooves into the wood. I have other suitable wood pieces: the disk is done.
One more question: what to do about wood fillers not matching the wood color? I can’t lug a 150 lbs slab around to have the filler color matched ...
Grain filler is always best if it's darker than the wood. Take your best guess and have the filler tinted accordingly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately, shellac does not work as a filler in my case, it just disappears, even after several attempts. The slab is 2 1/4” thick, who knows where the cracks end.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
You can buy wood filler in colors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts