Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a previous post, I asked for help removing residual carpet foam from the walls of a boat interior. It turns out the foam is so crumbly, a wire brush removes it easily.

BUT, not all of the carpet is surrendering so easily. There are a couple of panels that are stuck on pretty good. Any suggestions for loosening the adhesive? I don't know specifically what the adhesive is, but it appears to have been applied with a notched trowel. My first thought was heat gun, but since the carpet is glued to relatively thin fiberglass, I don't want to risk softening or distorting the hull.

Any thoughts or advice?

·
Premium Member
5,167 Posts
Prayer?

My first thought is solvents, but itd be a bit of a challenge finding a solvent that worked on the carpet adhesive but not the fiberglass. Still, solvents are probably safer than heat, fiberglass is pretty resistant stuff depending on the binder used. Maybe try some acetone on a non-critical part of the hull, see if you get an adverse reaction. If not, see if it removes the adhesive.

Possibly safer but more of a longshot, WD-40. If the adhesive is oil-based, WD-40 stands a pretty good chance of at least softening it, and WD-40 also shouldnt do anything to fiberglass. Still though, test on a non-critical spot

·
Registered
330 Posts
I used acetone to remove decal goo from a boat motor cover. It didn't hurt the cowling in any way. I had to really saturate it too.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Acetone sounds like a sure shot, but this is a very confined space, so I think I need a less volatile solution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts