Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the peppermills I made recently toesn't turn properly. I think the blank might have gone out of round with the onset of low humidity and I need to re-drill it or make other adjustments. In order to do this, the shafted version of the crush-grind mill needs to come out. Has anyone ever done this without destroying the mill body? Any tips?

·
7,222 Posts
I did this with a shaftless Crush-Grind which is held in place by some tabs. I presume this is only friction fit not glued.

You need a long tube to push this from the inside. Should not be too difficult if you can find a tube of relevant diameter to apply pressure on the outer ring not the inner mechanism.

·
7,222 Posts
How do you get the tabs to "let go" of the slot they're snapped into?
Slotted screwdriver inserted behind the tab and twist slightly until the driver blade has pushed the tab out of the slot. Hard part is moving the mechanism slightly so the tab does not go back. Alternative is a thin piece of wood then use the screw driver on the next tab.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Slotted screwdriver inserted behind the tab and twist slightly until the driver blade has pushed the tab out of the slot. Hard part is moving the mechanism slightly so the tab does not go back. Alternative is a thin piece of wood then use the screw driver on the next tab.
Maybe use a shim (feeler gauge?) or a toothpick to keep the tab from re-seating itself?

·
7,222 Posts
Maybe use a shim (feeler gauge?) or a toothpick to keep the tab from re-seating itself?
There is a surprising amount of force when the tabs are pushed back. Depending on the design, the tabs are deep down the middle section - until you get the bottom section apart. A bit of a catch-22.

Perhaps a long smaller size allen key to hold the tab open.
Lolly pop sticks or small tongue depressors may work, if you have them around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts