Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a wooden plaque i'm making for a friend, and I want to display five coins inset into the wood. I'll use a forstner bit to hollow out the cavity for the coins. Does anyone know of a mechanism or trick to allow the coins to be removeable, yet still remain snug while in the insets? Each coin is 1.5" in diameter and about double the thickness of a quarter.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Drill a 1/4" hole all the way through the plaque in the middle of each inset. You can then push the coins out from the back.

·
Registered
26,359 Posts
In addition to what trc65 said the holes are probably not tight enough to hold them. You might have to use something like two sided tape in the bottom of the hole.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If the coin is made of a ferrous metal, a small magnet in the back of the hole offset to one side with a small hole to the other side to push it out.

·
The New Guy
1,200 Posts
Drill a hole that is snug around the coin, then drill a finger hole on the top or bottom or side so that you can stick your finger in it and grab the edge of the coin and pull it out. That, or a hole from the back like trc65 said.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your fast responses and your suggestions. I'll post pictures of the finished plaque when done.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
we do the hole in the back thing, then use glue dots from darice to hold the coins in. if you use a 1.5 forstner, then varnish, it should snug right up for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: TimPa

Interesting suggestion about glue dots TimPa. How do they work, are they reusable after you pop the coin out, or must you place new glue dots inside each time to hold the coins when they are put back in? Just curious because this will be a gift for a friend, if he wants to remove the coins and put them back...I'm thinking about how much effort that would be for him. But i like the suggestion. sounds like you have some experience with this sort of thing, thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
randy, we aren't the end user of the coin plaques, so i can't attest to the glue dot re-use. sorry. it seems that the holes held the coins well as they were, as i mentioned after varnishing. the glue dots were just added protection for vertical hanging.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts