Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Really? I don't. Wipe it clean with clean water and a rag and lightly sand it after it dries..Should solve the problem. I nice sharp scrapper should get rid of any residue if there's any left..
This ^^
@BigCountry79 it sounds like you're not cleaning it up thoroughly enough, b/c that shouldn't happen.

What works for me: remove bulk with a scraper, wipe with a wet rage, rinse, wring out and repeat, maybe repeat again on open grain woods. Finish with a dry rag. Old T shirt rags work much better than paper towels. They tend to spread the glue.

Not a fan of "wait till it gets rubbery"............

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
This ^^
@BigCountry79 it sounds like you're not cleaning it up thoroughly enough, b/c that shouldn't happen.

What works for me: remove bulk with a scraper, wipe with a wet rage, rinse, wring out and repeat, maybe repeat again on open grain woods. Finish with a dry rag. Old T shirt rags work much better than paper towels. They tend to spread the glue.

Not a fan of "wait till it gets rubbery"............
Yeah, black locust with tbIII seems to be the worst at this. I can clean it up in 5 minutes with a card scraper, so it's not horrible. I'm not certain whether it's really residue, or some reaction to the glue...

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Yeah, black locust with tbIII seems to be the worst at this. I can clean it up in 5 minutes with a card scraper, so it's not horrible. I'm not certain whether it's really residue, or some reaction to the glue...
If you clean it thoroughly enough there is zero glue residue. But whatever works, works, right? I’ve had too many times where I thought I sanded or scraped it all off, only to find it when staining, particularly on crevices and corners. I use a toothbrush there.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Edit - posted this before I saw @DrRobert's response.

Please expand on that, I don't understand what a tooth brush can do for glue squeeze out or residue.
I'm a glue wiper. Not to answer for @DrRobert, but I think he's talking about when the glue is wet and he is wiping it off. I sometimes use a tooth brush to get into areas I can't easily get a wet rag into. Also, the bristles get down into deep grain better than a rag on wood like red oak.

FWIW, my dad used to use a sponge instead of a rag. And he showed me to use a toothbrush. I don't ever remember him having a problem with glue showing after applying his finish.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts