Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am extremely new to woodworking and decided to build our dining room table :eek:

I am trying to make a rather large table (8 person) however our place is quite small and I wanted to attach removable legs for an easier move down the line. I decided hanger bolts were the best route. However after finishing the installation I found the table is fairly wobbly. I know a skirt would be beneficial for structure however I did not make one as I wanted the legs to be removed easily.

I'm wondering if there is a simple solution to fix this problem.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Remake the legs using a skirt, mortise and tenoned into the legs. For extra strength, also add a wood corner brace behind the leg/skirt joint. The top can be attached by routing a groove into the back side of the skirt and using either table top fasteners, (http://www.vandykes.com/tabletop-fastener-set4-34w/p/205792/ ) or home made wood blocks which accomplish the same thing. The entire base unit will be solid, and the top removable for easier (lighter) transport.

Tables have forces exerted upon them and the length of a leg gives added torque to those forces, such as when a person leans on it, when the table is pushed aside even a little, or even when a person pushes against the table when rising from a chair. The legs need to be supported to withstand those pressures.

·
Registered
13,201 Posts
You definitely need to add a skirt. There are a number of ways the legs can then be fastened to the skirt/table. I would probably use 90 degree brackets fastened to the skirt and the legs/table.
\
George

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
Ideally the top would float upon a frame consisting of an apron or stretchers of some kind that the legs can be firmly attached to yet removable by hardware such as bolts or a tenon with a removable wedge. A web search will show you several methods to accomplish this, it is just a matter of selecting the one that fits into the design of your table.

·
Registered
353 Posts
What's the dimensions of your table legs? What size hanger bolts did you use? How thick is your Top? Is the top Solid Wood or Plywood? Pics would help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
You could also use pocket holes on the aprons. Obviously not as strong as mortise and tenon but you can take it apart. Use inside corner blocks with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts