Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can appreciate a remote on/off switch as being a safety feature for your lathe.
I would be interested in purchasing one that is "specific" for my Jet 1642 (1 1/2 HP). I emphasized "specific" because I have heard that using a remote could cause damage to the motor by using it instead of the regular on/off switch.

Your thoughts please.
Dick

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I don't see how a remote would hurt the motor if it's installed correctly. It is only a switch which cuts the electricity,exactly the same thing the on/off switch does. If you order one from Jet it comes with directions to show you exactly how to install it. I have one on my powermatic. I have had problems with the switch getting dirty and stop working so I removed it temporarily and bought an aftermarket switch. Just haven't had time to install it.
The one downside to remote switchs is finding the darn thing in a panic. You have to get in a habit of placing the remote in the same location all the time so in a panic you won't have to scramble to find it.
The advantage of course it that you can put it almost anywhere and hopefully would be out of harms way if you have to shut the lathe off in an emergency.
You can find plans online to show you wiring diagrams of installing a remote switch if you would rather just buy your own switch and wire it up yourself.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Not sure if it would work with your Jet but I installed an emergency On/Off switch on my Nova 1624 (1.5 HP) and it works fine. I got the one with the large off paddle; Grizzly has several and the one I got was the larger capacity (35 amp and 2 HP rating IIRC) for about $14.00 http://www.grizzly.com/products/110-220V-Paddle-On-Off-Switch/H8243

It can not be used to turn my lathe on because once off the motor resets to the off position. This stop the lathe from restarting in the event of an electrical outage once power is restored.
I agree with John on a fixed location so you know exactly where it is. It was no problem mounting to the right end of the with self drilling screws. Hope I never need it but I know where it is if I do.

·
Registered
12,942 Posts
I don't see how a remote would hurt the motor if it's installed correctly. It is only a switch which cuts the electricity,exactly the same thing the on/off switch does. If you order one from Jet it comes with directions to show you exactly how to install it. I have one on my powermatic. I have had problems with the switch getting dirty and stop working so I removed it temporarily and bought an aftermarket switch. Just haven't had time to install it.
The one downside to remote switchs is finding the darn thing in a panic. You have to get in a habit of placing the remote in the same location all the time so in a panic you won't have to scramble to find it.
The advantage of course it that you can put it almost anywhere and hopefully would be out of harms way if you have to shut the lathe off in an emergency.
You can find plans online to show you wiring diagrams of installing a remote switch if you would rather just buy your own switch and wire it up yourself.
I would never install a remote that was "instead of" the manual switch. I want that switch instantly at hand.

George

1 - 4 of 4 Posts