Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been buying Harbor Freight tarps and they just don’t last longer than a few months here in this intense AZ sun and wind. I just bought a HF HD tarp to cover some concrete bags and it’s ripped to shreds in only 2 months.

I did just buy a canvas tarp from Amazon for my concrete mix, but I really don’t know how much better they will be and don’t want to spend a lot of money because they are only supposed to be temporary. I have a lot of other stuff around the ranch that not only needs to be protected from water but also the sun itself. The UV rays are constant and extremely damaging to plastics, paint, and tires.

I’ve been putting up outbuildings, but I’m worried about complaints and razed taxes from the county. There have been a lot of helicopters flying around my property and I don’t know if its property accessors or possibly law enforcement although I’m not doing anything illegal. :smile2:

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
not knowing your budget, but, for the money, I have a friend that has purchased
used sign billboard tarps and he said they were excellent for longterm outside use.
might be worth checking into - I think they are in California. https://www.billboardvinyls.com

Reactions: Sleeper

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not knowing your budget, but, for the money, I have a friend that has purchased
used sign billboard tarps and he said they were excellent for longterm outside use.
might be worth checking into - I think they are in California. https://www.billboardvinyls.com

Oh, I didn't think of that. My neighbor bought a couple of those to cover her bails of hay. They are pretty heavy and large. I helped her feed her horses while she was out of town for a month and I could barely move them. I guess I could cut them into smaller pieces.

·
Super Moderator
4,838 Posts
Also you might try the traps truckers use for their flat bed loads. They will make just about any size you want. I bought one for my 24 foot pontoon for about $200, they are really tough and very heavy tarps.

·
Registered
26,311 Posts
I think all of those plastic tarps are about the same quality. If it isn't the sun it's the wind wearing them out. I know they are very expensive but the only reliable tarp is a canvas tarp. I don't know if they have changed them, it used to be you had to soak a new canvas tarp with water before it became waterproof.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think all of those plastic tarps are about the same quality. If it isn't the sun it's the wind wearing them out. I know they are very expensive but the only reliable tarp is a canvas tarp. I don't know if they have changed them, it used to be you had to soak a new canvas tarp with water before it became waterproof.
As much money as I have spent already on those plastic tarps, it would be worth it to me to pay for the canvas tarp. I don't know much about canvas, but its mind boggling to me how cotton can be waterproof. I wonder what would happen if one were to wash it with car wash wax spray.

·
Registered
26,311 Posts
As much money as I have spent already on those plastic tarps, it would be worth it to me to pay for the canvas tarp. I don't know much about canvas, but its mind boggling to me how cotton can be waterproof. I wonder what would happen if one were to wash it with car wash wax spray.
I've never known anyone to do anything with a canvas tarp but use it and fold it up when they were done. You know the truckers that haul stuff on a flat bed truck use canvas tarps. The plastic tarps would tear to shreds at highway speeds before you could go 10 miles.

·
Super Moderator
4,838 Posts
I've never known anyone to do anything with a canvas tarp but use it and fold it up when they were done. You know the truckers that haul stuff on a flat bed truck use canvas tarps. The plastic tarps would tear to shreds at highway speeds before you could go 10 miles.
Steve, the tarp I got wasn't canvas it was heavy rubber type. That is the kind of tarp truckers use up this way. The tarp I got for my 24 foot pontoon weighed 70 pounds, I can assure you, it wouldn't tear up on the road. Next time you see a flat bed truck look at the tarp on it, it is black rubberized material.

I did buy one of the heavy duty cotton water proof canvas tarps to cover some materials I was hauling from Memphis to Chattanooga. About half way here it tore all to pieces, I took it back and got my money back.

·
Registered
26,311 Posts
Steve, the tarp I got wasn't canvas it was heavy rubber type. That is the kind of tarp truckers use up this way. The tarp I got for my 24 foot pontoon weighed 70 pounds, I can assure you, it wouldn't tear up on the road. Next time you see a flat bed truck look at the tarp on it, it is black rubberized material.

I did buy one of the heavy duty cotton water proof canvas tarps to cover some materials I was hauling from Memphis to Chattanooga. About half way here it tore all to pieces, I took it back and got my money back.
Guess I'm out of touch. The tarps used to be canvas.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts

We bought 2 of those type about 12 years ago to throw across the boom of my sailboat in the summer. The ones we got were an off-white color.They did a great job shading us in the summers heat.I remember they came in standard sizes bit could could be cut and and new grommets inserted for around another 10 bucks each.
I dont remember the sizes we got but both together were a little over a hundred dollar total. I do remember that we were very impressed by them. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

OMG with the 30 mph winds here in AZ, I hope mine last at least a year. I've been looking for someone to put up a large steel canopy up on my property so I don't have to deal with this any more, but I can't seem to get anyone who is serious about doing it. Everyone wants to sell me a kit, but I'm unable to do it myself. I installed a prefab metal shop when I was 24, but I just don't have the strength or stamina at my age now.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I bought a heavy duty, UV resistant tarp last year to cover my firewood shed. I usually go through one in less than a year due to UV damage. This one, however is showing absolutely no wear or disintegration at all. I'm really impressed by it. Unfortunately, it does not have a brand name on it. It is white on the underside and silver on the top side. I will try to look at the brand on my next trip to that store and get back to you.

I looked today at the store and the brand is 'Cascade Outdoor Gear'.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought a heavy duty, UV resistant tarp last year to cover my firewood shed. I usually go through one in less than a year due to UV damage. This one, however is showing absolutely no wear or disintegration at all. I'm really impressed by it. Unfortunately, it does not have a brand name on it. It is white on the underside and silver on the top side. I will try to look at the brand on my next trip to that store and get back to you.

I looked today at the store and the brand is 'Cascade Outdoor Gear'.
WOW, I just looked them up and they're not expensive at all. I just bought a canvas one for almost $80. It hasn't rained yet so I don't know how waterproof it is, but we had some tremendous strong winds the last fell days and it didn't tear up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts