Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reconditioned/refurbished tools are tools that have been returned to the dealer, and according to them have been sent back to the factory, checked out, repaired, and determined to be worthy of being resold with a factory warranty, and whatever warranty available through the store.

It's entirely possible that the returned tool is perfectly OK, and just returned unused for a variety of reasons. I will say, I have saved with the discounted prices for those "recon/refurb" tools. I wouldn't steer away from a good deal just because of being R/R.

It's entirely possible that when the tool is returned to the manufacturer, it receives a much closer scrutiny and more extensive testing than when it was mass produced and sold the first time.

Any good/bad experiences with R/R tools?

·
Registered
679 Posts
When Bosch had a factory repair facility near me they always had a variety of R/R tools available. I often bought from them and everything I bought is still in service after 10 or more years. SDS hammer drill, two jigsaws, and two angle grinders. They all were 50% of retail.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Back in June I went by the nearest Sears ( 75 miles) and they had a BAS350 band saw that someone had returned, supposedly shipped him the wrong one. They had it marked at $292.00, I talked the manager down to $225.00, no blade, dent in the motor cover and just a little saw dust in and on it. Got it all paid for, two year come to the shop and fix it warranty and all.
After getting it back to the shop I noticed it was the floor demo that we loaded into the truck. I had to call Sears and get the upper table trunion, it was busted, no questions asked, two days later I had the new one. Anyway, we went back to the store a couple weeks later, there was the return, still in the same shape it was , marked at $292.00 and had R/R on it, still had saw dust inside the wheel covers. By the way, the band saw, when properly tuned, is a work horse.

·
Registered
530 Posts
It's the same with electronics as well. Often they are returns or repairs, but equally as often they are brand new inventory that the manufacturer is trying to have a "sale" on but can't undercut their distributors. I have purchased many refurbs and they've all been problem free.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I've also bought several reconditioned tools, the worse thing wrong with one of them was someone put their initials into the side of a drill. But I do want a pretty good discount from retail, since they often come with shorter warranties than new ones. Even so, I've never had a problem with one.

·
Chairman of the 'Board
285 Posts
I've been disappointed once on a refurbished tool I got at Home Depot. My Ryobi Table saw had obviously been dropped before it had been packaged. I brought it back in and they brought me out a brand new saw with no delay and without nary a quibble. It must be twenty years old now.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Probably close to half my tools are refurbs, returns, or floor models

Table saw, was 1100, paid 260

Dw735, was 650, paid 220

Dewalt sander, was 150, paid 85

Compressor, was 250, paid 110

18 v tools, paid 25-35% less for all of them.

Router kit, was 190, paid 35

Biscuit joiner, was 150ish...paid 30

Air nailer, was 179, paid 60.

The kicker....the only one out of the box was the planer and it was a floor model.

The 18v stuff was either new and packaged as refurbs to sell, or the replaced every Part on them.

Refurb stuff is good in my opinion.

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
Several of my Bosch tools are refurbs. All have given good service.
I had a refurbed Bostitch framing nailer that lasted through several house builds or remodels. Of course, there ain't much to go wrong with one of those that can't be fixed with a few gaskets.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
The vast majority of refurbs I've purchased have been like new....several Hitachi drills, drill drivers, Milwaukee router, Milwaukee circ saw, Hitachi router, Ridgid planer. My only disappoint is that the batteries on one of the 14.4v Hitachi drills weren't really up to snuff...otherwise, I'm happy and have saved quite a bit.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been disappointed once on a refurbished tool I got at Home Depot. My Ryobi Table saw had obviously been dropped before it had been packaged. I brought it back in and they brought me out a brand new saw with no delay and without nary a quibble. It must be twenty years old now.
That doesn't sound too disappointing seeing as you got a new saw out of the exchange.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts