Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -

I'm looking to refinish a staircase with a very dark, nearly black stain, however I'm nervous because this staircase has both pine and oak treads. (The more narrow part of the staircase is pine, and the wider steps at the bottom are oak).

Although I'm going for a very dark stain, I'm wondering if these will turn out completely different. From what I've read, it seems that I will have to put more coats on the pine stairs in order for them to match the oak. Is this correct?

Please advise. Thank you!

·
where's my table saw?
29,950 Posts
you will have a problem

Pine is a soft wood and close grained. Oak is a hard wood and open grained. Each will absorb the stain differently. Even within the Pine there will be major differences because of possible knots which won't take stain much at all.
Without a photo it's a difficult diagnosis over the net...but you may be better off to use a black paint with several applications.
I don't think you will be happy with a stain. JMO. bill

·
Registered
27,747 Posts
How much color have you sanded off. Since you are refinishing, if you haven't sanded the wood down to the natural color they should stain much the same. Normally the old stain will seal the wood like a wood conditioner. If you have sanded the wood down to the natural color then I would experiment with using a wood conditioner on the pine. It will take some tinkering to tell how much to thin the wood conditioner to make the pine match the oak. Since you are working on old wood I would make sample spots on the stairs in places where you can sand it off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts