Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have purchased this table top and would love to change the stain if at all possible. It has a thick clear coat (lacquer or resin or epoxy - I have no idea what). I believe the wood is cedar.
1. How do I strip the clear coat
2. Is it possible to sand the top to get rid of the reddish stain colour?
3. What about the bark edge?
4. If changing the stain colour is not possible, can I just sand out the scratches etc?
I have absolutely zero experience so any help would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
David
4,989 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Lesley! That's a nice looking slab but it definitely is on the orange side. And it looks like one of those thick bar-top finishes. I don't know how best to remove that but someone here will chime in soon.

David

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply David. Considering I only paid $25 for it, I'm excited to see what can be done with it and not too scared to attempt anything.
The finish is definitely quite thick.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If the finish is too thick to sand through easily, you could probably rig up a router sled to take it back down to the wood. No idea what you can do with the bark...I would say just leave it alone.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Get it in a well ventilated area and strip it with denatured alcohol and a rag. It will likely take a few applications. If the denatured won't remove it, try lacquer thinner. But do the alcohol 1st. If the DA works easily, I guess you could soak the edges with it and brush them down. But, I don't know if I would mess with it. After you get the finish off, sand it and refinish.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26,320 Posts
It looks like an epoxy finish. I've never had to strip epoxy so I can't recommend a product. Jasco makes a paint stripper made for epoxy so I would try that. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZZ5F...t=&hvlocphy=9026890&hvtargid=pla-350051402563 The finish needs to be chemically removed. You would never get the finish off the bark any other way.

You can't get rid of the red color of the wood. About all you can do is alter it with a dye stain. A green dye will counteract a red color. The trick is to get the concentration of the green dye where it will counter the red without making it looking green.

I think what you are referring to as scratches are cracks. Once stripped the wood will need to be sanded. If then there are cracks in the wood you might fill them with wood putty before fully sanding.

·
Sawdust is the Cure
2 Posts
I can't see the image, but it sounds like a thick "bar top" type of finish. Stripping it would be a lot of work. I would use a router sled and just trim the surface down 1/4" or whatever it takes to get to bare wood. Then sand well and refinish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts