Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I need some suggestions on I how to refinish just the top of our kitchen table. In the pics the table just looks dirty but trust me it's not. The table is gummy on the top and you can scratch the surface with your finger nail and any thing just warm will leave on impression .

Attachments

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

I would use a chemical stripper like "Aircraft Stripper" in a blue can (not a spray can) at HD. It's an MC based stripper (methylene chloride). It's very toxic and you should follow the directions to a "T".

Once you've stripped off as much as will come off, wipe clean with lacquer thinner. When dry, you can sand to bare wood. At that point you can use an oil base stain, which would be the easiest to apply (wipe on...wipe off). When that cures, you could use one of many film finishes, depending on your ability to spray (gun and compressor).

You could keep all the finishing to wipe ons.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help is this the stripper your talking about.
What finish would be durable from a kitchen table something in the satin or semi gross finish maybe and yes I do have a compressor and spray gun.

Attachments

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Thanks for the help is this the stripper your talking about.
What finish would be durable from a kitchen table something in the satin or semi gross finish maybe and yes I do have a compressor and spray gun.
They might have changed the can. It used to look like this. You could spray oil base polyurethane, but it's not that easy. You could make it a wiping veraion. Or, spray a waterbase polyurethane. A good over the counter one at HD is Parks Pro Finisher. It's suitable for flooring, and works well on furniture.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Stanley80.jpg I would use a Stanley#80 scraper for $9 on E-bay. They're easy to use and maintain unlike card scarpers and the're also a workhorse. All you need to do is put a 45* angle and give it a small hook by curling the edge back just so slightly with a screw driver. Place the scarper on a flat surface and while pushing down on the blade, secure it and push it out with the center screw.

You will be amazed how easy it is to scrape a table top with a Stanley #80

·
Rough Sawn Lumber
196 Posts
If you only refinish the top you will be challenged with matching the color. Of course if you refinish the entire piece then choose the stain of your choosing. Good luck and I am sue it will turn out well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts