Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
To me, its simple - the vast majority of furniture is mass produced and not worth fixing. The few pieces of what we people might call "real" furniture a lot is inherited, and like the general public, many of those people value it for nostalgic reasons and have no real appreciation for, nor knowledge about classic fine furniture making.

I live near a metro area of over 1 million people. A Google maps search for "furniture refinishing" turns up 20 results. I have no idea how busy they are, how many are even still in business. But I'm willing to bet a lot of what they do is structural repairs to chairs, etc. Maybe I have a jaundiced view.

I have spent a considerable amount of time exploring the idea of a retirement woodworking/cabinet shop business, and I really think it is doable. No kitchens, just refaces, custom built-ins, vanities, bars, etc. If slabs were a thing, I'd get a CNC for flattening.

But refinishing furniture would never be a focus, probably b/c I stink as a finisher :confused:.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts