Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
where's my table saw?
31,716 Posts
I've done a bit of antique restoration and chair rebuilding and regluing and I totally enjoyed it!
The latest were 3 spindle back chairs for a buddy. All the joints were loose and I took them apart sanded them and reglued them.
It was a PITA to get them all back in their respective hole when regluing the spindles. I waited for my son to help and that made it much easier.
I would take on most projects in that venue if I were interested in the extra income and the extra work. It requires some skills, but not as much as building from scratch.
The chairs involved sanding down the seats to bare wood and then trying to match the existing color and finish on the spindles and arm rests, NOT an easy task.
I tried various combinations of spray on stain/varnishes and straight out wood stains and clear top coats. It took me a week to figure it out.
Next time around I'll go straight to the Mohawk finishes.
The antique dresser repair for a friend:

·
where's my table saw?
31,716 Posts
One of my favorite episodes of American Pickers, Mike and Frank and Danielle fame was when they were "hired" to furnish the office of William Shatner, the star of Star Trek. There was a female inter designer involved as well, but they did a great job at selectively location the "perfect fit" objects for the office. They probably had an unlimited budget, and maybe the positive response by the Shatner's was "a bit of theatrics" I donno, but I thought it was a job well done and that was a long time ago.I am not a big fan of that show and I though they basically take advantage of people who have recently lost a loved one, or who have no knowledge of the value of their possessions. They typically offer only 1/2 the value, since they intend to mark it up double what they paid for it. I don't think that's fair and when the cameras are rolling, people are "put on the spot" so they often take the offers.

Todays generations have a whole different outlook on things and stability and tradition and not often high on their list. It's more about change, flexibility, mobility, live for the moment, and yes drugs may be involved? It's not surprising that their tastes in furniture reflect that, knock down and move it around quality. I think to some extent "good design" is a inborn quality, but some of it can also be taught, the reason for the many design schools all across the country. I worked with all types and ages of designers at GM Design, and there were some young ones I just laid down the law on and others were a joy to work with. I refused to make "ugly" clay models and told them so. We were a team of two, and we sort had to reach a compromise on the design, but I wasn't having any of "ugly" with my name under it....LOL.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts