Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went to my finishing/refinishing supplier. I needed some more NGR Stain - Red Mahogany and VanDyke Brown for possible new work. Cant think of any offhand, but it's cheap enough - $14/ Qt. to just keep on hand.
Anyhoo, there were only a few bottles left. I commented on that and that turned into a big conversation. Normally they carry a large compliment of just about everything. This is not a fly-by-night outfit. They have 2 Houston stores that I know of and one near/in Dallas. They used to carry alot of refinishing supplies. They can still get it. but not carrying much of that in stock. Anyway, it is a family owned and run business. The young man I spoke to was telling me that there are always trends. For about the last 5 years or so, refinishing is only about 30% of what it used to be in their humongous refinishing building. The same goes for the refinishing chemicals. The new trend is PAINT!. Everyone wants everything painted including 150 year old antiques, plus cabinets and other used to be refinishing items. He is supplied to the hilt in paint in all of their warehouses. Mainly white but other colors also. I guess every generation has different likes and dislikes. Today's generation - it's paint.

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have to laugh at your mention of orange shag rug. My first and only orange shag went into my 1969 VW Kombi Station Wagon (VW Bus). It was usually cheap and readily available. Orange shag was 'in'.

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Government HAS NOT banned Methylne Chloride. It's just sold in places that a soccer mom wouldnt look in.
It's no different than buying hypodermic needles in an agricultural store like Tractor Supply.
No permits and no ID requiered OR even asked for.

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Refinishing takes a whole lot of different skills than building. When building from scratch, you set the parameters. In Repair and Refinishing, the parameters are already set and you have to work within them. Also about $1,000 or more just in touch-up and repair chemicals. That dont count a 5'x10' stripping tray and another 5' x 10' rinsing tray.
It is not as easy as one might think it is. Repair and refinishing, like any other business, you want to make at least $70/hour. You have to know quite a bit to keep those hours reasonable. Color and finish matching is quite tricky and that takes experience.
Most successful refinishers also have a woodworking business out of the same shop.
The problem with the smaller refinishing businesses is they always look busy and messy and crowded. Those places rarely if ever get the good jobs. Way more than once have I been into a small refinishing shop where I saw a spindle repair nothing more than a plain, simple dowel.
My last few commercial shops were in commercial/industrial locations with marquee and I never even put up a sign. They found me on the internet. A "woodworking" sign is an open invitation to local woodworkers and retirees wanting a place to hang out.
My first introduction to a very well qualified Interior Designer started with a phone call from her when she saw my website. The very first thing she asked was "Can you take a full room of furniture all at once?". My answer was "Yes, but I would like you to come to my shop first" and she did. That sealed the deal.

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@B Coll

If you live to old age, it seems that eventually everything comes back. Its like it skips a generation or 2 and crops up again.

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Kudzu
I only stripped and refinished 1 'antiquing'. It was a blanket chest made in the 1930's IIRC. It was a Lane and the date was underneath it.
It was antiqued. I spent almost a full day stripping it in my flow-over system. That stuff, like enamel paint, just wont come off without a fight. Neither myself nor the owner had any idea what a gem was hiding under that crap. Turned out is was well worth the effort Wood Rectangle Wood stain Hardwood Gas
Shelf Wood Table Cabinetry Drawer
Furniture Table Wood Pedestal Drawer
Wood Table Pedestal Rectangle Bench
Furniture Musical instrument Wood Flooring Wood stain

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Steve Neul
You dont have to claim to be a refinisher,
You dont have to show ID
There is no background check
There is no limit to how much you buy
Where I go, they have everything in stock from 1 Gal., 5 gal and 55 Gal Drums
And I'm sure there is a place near you.
What city/town are you near?

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you near Grand Prairie?
There is a place to go over there?

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wood Finishers Depot in Grand Prairie will have all the MC you want. Liquid for flow-over systems and paste for vertical surfaces and hand stripping. It is owned by a family business in Baytown and Houston.
I have never been to the Grand Prairie operation.

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Most of my customers refinished because either they liked antiques or it was handed down from the family and has sentimental value. Obviously price was not a factor.
Now if a designer or decorator is involved, that's a whole nother story.

New furniture today means something different to the younger generation. back in my day, we bought furniture to last. Today, one can buy a much lesser grade and change out every so many years and always be in style. Actually, it may be the better way to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts