Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28,617 Posts
Today I went to my finishing/refinishing supplier. I needed some more NGR Stain - Red Mahogany and VanDyke Brown for possible new work. Cant think of any offhand, but it's cheap enough - $14/ Qt. to just keep on hand.
Anyhoo, there were only a few bottles left. I commented on that and that turned into a big conversation. Normally they carry a large compliment of just about everything. This is not a fly-by-night outfit. They have 2 Houston stores that I know of and one near/in Dallas. They used to carry alot of refinishing supplies. They can still get it. but not carrying much of that in stock. Anyway, it is a family owned and run business. The young man I spoke to was telling me that there are always trends. For about the last 5 years or so, refinishing is only about 30% of what it used to be in their humongous refinishing building. The same goes for the refinishing chemicals. The new trend is PAINT!. Everyone wants everything painted including 150 year old antiques, plus cabinets and other used to be refinishing items. He is supplied to the hilt in paint in all of their warehouses. Mainly white but other colors also. I guess every generation has different likes and dislikes. Today's generation - it's paint.
That is understandable. Antique furniture as become out of style. Modern furnishings is what is in style now. Then since the government has banned methylene chloride not many people are getting into the trade. It used to be a person could start a refinishing shop in their garage before leasing a building. For me, I quit doing it because it always took more work to do than I could charge for. That and at the time it was more lucrative to paint street lights and patio furniture and often the wind would change directions in the building and coat the furniture with overspray.

·
Registered
28,617 Posts
The Government HAS NOT banned Methylne Chloride. It's just sold in places that a soccer mom wouldnt look in.
It's no different than buying hypodermic needles in an agricultural store like Tractor Supply.
No permits and no ID requiered OR even asked for.
I just meant it was banned for retail sale. There are places that if a person claims to be a professional refinisher they can get it and without a background check.

·
Registered
28,617 Posts
@Steve Neul
You dont have to claim to be a refinisher,
You dont have to show ID
There is no background check
There is no limit to how much you buy
Where I go, they have everything in stock from 1 Gal., 5 gal and 55 Gal Drums
And I'm sure there is a place near you.
What city/town are you near?
The nearest place to me is wood finishers source in Sunnyville, TX . It's east of Mesquite. It's located in the Jot-em-down antique shop. They also sell Mohawk products including the NGR stains.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts