Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Today I went to my finishing/refinishing supplier. I needed some more NGR Stain - Red Mahogany and VanDyke Brown for possible new work. Cant think of any offhand, but it's cheap enough - $14/ Qt. to just keep on hand.
Anyhoo, there were only a few bottles left. I commented on that and that turned into a big conversation. Normally they carry a large compliment of just about everything. This is not a fly-by-night outfit. They have 2 Houston stores that I know of and one near/in Dallas. They used to carry alot of refinishing supplies. They can still get it. but not carrying much of that in stock. Anyway, it is a family owned and run business. The young man I spoke to was telling me that there are always trends. For about the last 5 years or so, refinishing is only about 30% of what it used to be in their humongous refinishing building. The same goes for the refinishing chemicals. The new trend is PAINT!. Everyone wants everything painted including 150 year old antiques, plus cabinets and other used to be refinishing items. He is supplied to the hilt in paint in all of their warehouses. Mainly white but other colors also. I guess every generation has different likes and dislikes. Today's generation - it's paint.
Similar but different...having recently redone my kitchen...its like everything marketed is white/grey. How boring! So I went with a color hot in the 70s, Hickory cabinets (left natural), and mock river rock for counters and backsplash. Yeah...was tempted to put down orange shag carpeting but went with Silver Quartsite slabs leveled in cement. Hopefully the trend swings back around the time I want to sell or my kids want to sell....but right now behind-the-times works for me. ;)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts