Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a american federal chest of drawers. The drawer fronts had veneer that was badly damaged so I stripped the old veneer off and sanded the whole piece. After all this I discovered the chest has a poplar top, some cherry on the front, the legs and sides are maple and the drawer fronts are pine. I'm not sure how to go about finishing this one, I do want to veneer the drawer fronts but I don't know if I should try to veneer the rest of the chest or what would look best. I don't want to paint it.

I'm fairly new to this, so any input would be much appreciated.

·
where's my table saw?
29,920 Posts
search vacuum veneering

With all those different woods it will be difficult to get an even and consistent finish. You might start with the wood that is most visible and use that as the Master for value and color. Flat surfaces are easier to veneer than curves so keep that in mind.

A photo of the piece would help us here... :yes:

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/faq.p...b3_attachments

attachments are pictures.... :yes:

How to post photos.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
In the early 1900's, 1915-1930 +-, furniture manufacturers used an opaque type of stain that was sprayed on. Not quite a paint but close. This allowed them to use less expensive wood and color it to look like more expensive species. Most of these pieces were emulating the look of walnut or mahogany, so the stain was a dark brown or red. Ordinary working folks could not afford the real thing, manufacturers faked the look. Unless you want your piece to have different woods showing, you'll have to fake it, too, in a similar manor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I uploaded a couple of pictures on my profile.

With a darker stain I don't think it will be as noticeable. I've got 50 bucks in it, guess I shouldn't really stress over trying to make it look expensive lol

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I uploaded a couple of pictures on my profile.

With a darker stain I don't think it will be as noticeable. I've got 50 bucks in it, guess I shouldn't really stress over trying to make it look expensive lol
if you are going to stain, you probly will get some blotching when doing the staining, go here and watch this video on staining

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.