Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Woodworkingtalk forums,

My wife purchased this funky 1950's/60's Scandinavian style table that has a bunch of old yard/meter sticks laid in where the old tabletop used to be (see attached images). Some of these yardsticks are painted, others are bare wood with the size markers inked/printed on.

I want to use a finish that will prevent staining/damage, should a spill ever occur (it's our living room table, so it's bound to happen). Nothing too heavy, but something that will provide some assurance that I won't ruin the table when a beer gets knocked over.

I need something that will work over the lightly painted yardsticks, and help seal the unfinished ones. Also something that will work with the existing border wood, which has a slightly glossy original finish (I will only be applying a finish to the yardsticks, not the original wood border).

What is the best bet here? A polyurethane application, or something else that will cover the painted and the bare wood?

Your recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
885 Posts
I've seen a really cool table like that once before. I can't remember where. Maybe Pinterest. I wonder if a glass top wouldn't be the best.

·
Registered
26,320 Posts
For a table top that will get stuff between the yard sticks the glass top sounds like a good idea. In my mind for a finish it needs a pour on epoxy that will fill between.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The glass solution is one I want to avoid. Just seems that it would be expensive to cut/fit and would detract from the looks. Also the surface is uneven, so maybe an epoxy is the best bet.

Thanks for the recommendations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts