Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having worked for IBM for 32 years I have the pleasure of restoring and refinishing a 1926 IBM Punch Clock for buddy of mine.

I assume the wood is oak based on the look but it is much heavier than other oak pieces that I have worked on. Could it be a different wood?

The clock face is very dirty and needs to be cleaned but I am unsure how to go about that for fear of causing damage. Any guidance would be helpful.

I also want to clean the clock mechanism which I plan to do by simply blowing it with my air compressor. If there are better ways I am all ears.

Thanks.

Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
26,992 Posts
As best as I can tell from the picture it looks like white oak to me. The face of the clock I would just try common glass cleaner to begin with. If that doesn't do it you might try a glass polish.

I believe I would have a professional attend to the movement. It may need some specialized cleaning and oiling that you don't have the tools and training to do. I would be afraid of using compressed air.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As best as I can tell from the picture it looks like white oak to me. The face of the clock I would just try common glass cleaner to begin with. If that doesn't do it you might try a glass polish.

I believe I would have a professional attend to the movement. It may need some specialized cleaning and oiling that you don't have the tools and training to do. I would be afraid of using compressed air.
Thanks for the words of caution Steve. This is unchartered territory for me so I will likely do little or nothing regarding cleaning.

Gary

1 - 3 of 3 Posts