Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this chair the other day and I'm not sure how to clean it up without losing all the patina.

I'd like more of the grain to come through, and lots of areas are scaly and rough.

From what I can see I'm assuming oak...

and while it needs to have the cane replaced, it looks like it might have had another seat on it at some point.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I definitely want to keep the color and patina, but I'm not sure how much is patina, and how much is just gunk; especially areas where the finish is so rough.

Thanks for the tips on replacing the cane. The underside of the caned area does have a ring of holes.. but it also looks like there is a spline as you described and there isn't anything coming through the holes. It looks like I'll have to decide between taking it to someone to replace the cane or learning a new skill.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a closer look at the seat area:

And here's the rough finish:

It looks like a crackle glaze, and seems fairly stable. I haven't even tried wiping it down with water yet, so I'm not sure how it will do with even a basic cleaning. I thought I'd see what folks here thought because I've heard stories of people ruining antiques so easily.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.