Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kitchen has these great cherry cabinets but they are showing their age in spots. I posted some pics of some dings and scuffs here and there. There doesn't seem to be any major repairs needed just touching up the finish. Any suggestions? Wasn't sure how much sanding and refinishing would be required for repairs to what I posted. If so, any guesses as to how these were originally finished? It looks fairly standard to me. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
26,320 Posts
It looks to me like some of the doors need to be completely refinished. I think you need to find a furniture refinisher in your area that can refinish the few doors that need it and come in and touch up the cabinets. I think it would be very difficult for you to match the color. It's difficult enough for a professional finisher with a lot of supplies to refinish part of a job and have it match. I think you would pull all your hair out before you hit on he color doing it yourself. You could make them look better by using Old English Scratch Cover for light wood but it wouldn't really be fixing it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Remove the knobs, lightly scuff worn areas and re-coat with your choice of finish. I would say those cabinets are varnished. Just my guess. There is a product called "Finish Up", made by Mohawk that would also be a good fit. Please note that the finishes you put on will be a higher sheen for a while. I would use a satin finish that is in the range of 20 - 30 degrees.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts