Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help on choosing a finish. I had a 3" thick by 9" deep by 72" long red oak cut for my daughters beam fireplace mantle that i am working on now. She wants a low sheen unstained natural look to the wood. I was thinking of a tung oil finish but after reading on the forum of how long it could take (days and or weeks) to get it completed with tung oil i need to have this finished by christmas this year, what other finishes could i use to complete the natural non sheen look that she is wanting? thanks in advance steve n tennessee

·
Registered
26,848 Posts
You should be able to go ahead and use the mantle done with tung oil even if you don't have as much finish on as you would like. It's true that tung oil is a slow drying finish however the first coat is usually as much finish as many other oil finishes. Just be sure to use a 100% tung oil. There are many finishes out there that say tung oil which are a blend of other products. The best way to tell if a coat of tung oil is dry enough for another coat is to briskly rub the surface with a clean dry cloth and see if any tung oil smell rubs off on the rag. When there is no smell it is dry enough for another coat.

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
I think something was overlooked in answering....you said "...I had it cut..." does that mean it's green as in wet/high MC???? IF so, nothing is good at this point...to AD would take under ideal conditions approx 3 yrs.
I hope this is cut from a reclaimed old building that has aged for many years for stability over a fireplace...LOTS of heat and cooling= wood movement.

FOOD for THOUGHT

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had it cut as in log was felled In 2012 in April laid until may of 2013 saw milled in may of 2013 air dried until august of 2013 kiln dried 21 days in august and air dried again until November 2nd when I started sanding

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
Confused....why did you AD again after KD ing??? that would only raise the MC back up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts