Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have flame box elder in the form of lumber, turning blanks, slabs, and cookies.

Below are some samples the kind of color, pattern, and prolific character which is available. It will speed up your quote request if you let me know what you want (i.e. cookies, bowl blanks, bookmatched lumber etc.) and the dimensions you're looking for.

If you have an interest please email [email protected] for more information.

Attachments

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a few more samples of some cookies and blocks. I can supply them in practically any size from about 6" up to so far 27" being the largest one I have run across and taken a core sampling to ensure there is no rot, but most are in the 12" to 20" range.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Wow, that's nice stuff. What does it machine like?. I just sent a pic to a buddy that turns bowls, he might want some. I'll let you know-

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave, this stuff is big enough for l - u - m - b - e - r ! Use your imagination. :icon_wink:

JP I am not a turner so I can't answer you. It machines fine on the table saw, router, and through the planer though.

I can say a well-renowned turner with some experience with it went nuts when he saw this. So I guess it turns well too.

Do you guys not turn? If not get a lathe we can all learn together. :icon_smile:

I am going to put one on the front burner I have the itch now. Been talkng to Burlkraft about maybe getting his when it comes available. Want a mega lathe too though.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
JP I will let you know here soon :thumbsup: I placed small order with the "Texas Red Box Elder King". I just couldn't stand seeing those pictures without getting a little for myself.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Do you guys not turn? If not get a lathe we can all learn together. :icon_smile:
I have played with a lathe once or twice, if I spent more time playing I may get good at it some day. I just have a short attention span :laughing:, and a shed full of wood and tools I still have not mastered. I turned this the first month of owning my first lathe, I think everyone needs a lathe, the first one I bought was $150.00 (14" swing x 40" bed) just to see if I even liked it. Some day I will buy a nice one, money permiting. If I remember right there was 300+ pieces assembled, then turned. I gave it away to someone who came to the shop and couldn't take thier eyes off it. :yes: It was just for practice anyway.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=213&cat=500

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Cripes Daren, do you do anything bad with wood?. With all the stuff I've seen of yours, a retail store would be a big hit. I bet a bowl would look sweet in that elder, I've never seen such a vibrant red in wood before.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thats some spectacular wood TexasTimbers. I'm gonna have to rent a place to live near you for month or how ever long it takes to fill trailer. :)

Maybe a tree or two.

·
Future Master Craftsman
45 Posts
I have not seen anything like that before. TT do you have a pricing breakdown or rough estimate. How much would those blocks on the bottom left of the second post or some cookies go for?

That stuff would make some killer accent wood.

p.s. talk about bringing back a post from the dead.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I have not seen anything like that before. TT do you have a pricing breakdown or rough estimate. How much would those blocks on the bottom left of the second post or some cookies go for?

That stuff would make some killer accent wood.

p.s. talk about bringing back a post from the dead.
I can't take any open orders right now. I will be adding pages to the website when I can get to it and offering items per piece, and in packs that are bundled. I can no longer accept custom orders on this species.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Geesh I've been drooling over this for days, I'd love to get some to make my military retirement box. It would be wicked, LOL. Make a box like this one using the flamed wood for the wings, radiating out from the star.

Attachments

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rodeo that is a fine looking shadow box. I can see what you are saying about the flamed wings. That would look dynamite! I hope to be able to offer some pieces soon once I get through this current rat killin.

My wife and I went in last week on a whim before the most recent rain and logged some more of it. It was still a swamp from the rains the weeks before. I had a blast loshing around in it though. She video'd much of our "day out" in Fire Park (our new name for the patch).

·
Registered
82 Posts
no matter what cuts u made that stuff is awesome,first time in all my years of being around wood have i seen anything like it:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts