Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have about 5000 screws in my 1973 TT that has an odd shaped rectangular head. I haven't been able to find a drill bit that fits. I have a square one but it doesn't really fit right and the screws won't come out unless they are in perfect condition (which is rare). Anyone know where I can find a bit for this. I can probably get a decent pic of one if you need me to.
thanks

·
Registered
473 Posts
Could it be a Robertson square drive screw? I used to buy many from the same supplier that sold to at least one large brand of motorhomes and trailer manufacturer. If this is what you have, do a google search and there should be standard and undersize driver bits, especially for the #2 size that is the most common and is probably what was used. A bit of a shot in the dark however with no pics. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks Manuka for that driver bit.... I knew there was a name for it but I don't think I have ever heard anyone ever use that term before....
Here is a pic of the screw, not the best but if you look closely it is a rectangular hole but the short sides of the rectangle are curved. I modified a square driver bit but it striped the screws and the bit pretty quick

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
What exactly are these screws being used for ?
Wood to wood , wood to steel , plywood , sheet metal , aluminium ?
Knowing this may help in tracking down the info.

And what does '1973 TT' mean to you ?
To me , it means a 1973 Triumph Trophy or a '73 Triumph Tiger motorcycle :yes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TT = travel trailer
the screws fasten together everything and anything you can imagine. In the pic I took, the screw eye is against plastic going into fiberboard (to hold drawer pulls, the body of the drawers are molded plastic probably PVC). I want to replace the drawer fronts with real wood and nice looking pulls but I'm worried the plastic is going to crack when I try to take out the screws as I have had a lot of issues removing these screws in other parts of the trailer.
I looked up some of the driver bits others have mentioned but, the pix are profile only and not the footprint of the bit.... so how do I know if it's the right one? I've been to all the hardware stores in the area but no one carries anything like this..... frustrating to say the least. I also want to replace the pulls on the cabinets but I have already tried removing those screw with no success. The handles are huge, wierd and UGLY. Think, medival 1970.

·
7,222 Posts
Crappy picture. Looks like the head has been deformed by someone's attempt to remove with the wrong bit.

A quick search on driver types has me thinking this may be a Clutch style bit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_drive

From the link "Type G resembles a butterfly. This type of screw head is commonly used in the manufacture of mobile homes and recreational vehicles."

Edit another link.

This thread has an Instructibles article with more details on many of the screw head types. This is a diagram from the link, which shows the Clutch type, but no further detail in the article.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/screws-more-screws-43622/

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,509 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Here is a pic of the screw, not the best but if you look closely it is a rectangular hole but the short sides of the rectangle are curved. I modified a square driver bit but it striped the screws and the bit pretty quick

That screw head is stuffed . Its' oblong hole is off center and damaged . If that is indicative of all the screws that you want to remove , don't waste anymore time looking for a driver bit .
Go buy a screw extractor , remove them , and toss them in the bin.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Font Text Design Pattern Circle

Who dreams this stuff up?

Does anyone else see this as ridiculous?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
1) I think the clutch drive bit would work well, measured the screw and it looks like a 5/32 which is a common size for these type.

2) All those different screws requiring different bits are completely ridiculous, and I could strangle the idiot that thought these clutch style were a good idea; someone sure thought they were being cute.

3) The TT I own stopped production in the mid 80's, so no help there.

4) That screw I took the picture of is as about as good as they get in the trailer, most are rusted and some nearly round (as though someone, not me, has tried removing them with a phillips!). I have never been able to get those screw extractors to work. And that would most certainly crack the plastic.

When I get to a PC with internet I'll post a few more pix of screws in interesting places.

Thanks everyone for helping me out on this. Trying to get the rest of my projects done before selling.

I just ordered 2 clutch driver bits through Grainger. I'd just like to say though the shipping charge was $9.77 through UPS. They didn't have a US mail option, considering they could stick them in a small padded envelope that would cost them maybe .50, $1.50 max to mail and of course you can't forget the $1 handling charge, so that amounts to $3.

Oh, and Manuka...... a Triumph? Really? I think you have a "screw" loose!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Oh, and Manuka...... a Triumph? Really? I think you have a "screw" loose!
Try that one again .
Engage your brain first tho .
This is an international forum .Your regional abbreviation for a caravan is merely that .
'1973 TT ' has different meanings to different folks .

Oh , and anyone who needs to ask the world how to extract a screw is in no positiion to cast aspersions on the intelligence of others .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Try that one again .
Engage your brain first tho .
This is an international forum .Your regional abbreviation for a caravan is merely that .
'1973 TT ' has different meanings to different folks .

Oh , and anyone who needs to ask the world how to extract a screw is in no positiion to cast aspersions on the intelligence of others .
Maybe in your part of the world but well, I've yet to see a motorcycle held together with screws...
Besides it was supposed to be funny since you did smile about the comment.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.