Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A while ago I posted about having a chunk tear out of a wild choke cherry blank as I was turning it, and several of you gave me advice on how to avoid it happening again.

I decided to try repairing the damaged blank by packing the hole with sawdust (made from the scrap leftovers) and using drops of thin CA to bond it in place. I built it up in a few layers till it was proud of the blank then left it a day to make sure it was fully cured before going back to turning it.

I think it turned out okay -- it has a scar, but could have been a lot worse.

Today I got ambitious and made a couple of pens using the same slimline kit but leaving out the center band (making the cap 1/4" longer to compensate).

I'm really enjoying this :smile:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry about the delay saying "thanks", I was getting a lot of "this site is infectious" messages :eek:

Anyway -- thanks for your kind words :smile:

·
Kevin's Boss
69 Posts
The pens look great. The "scar" might just be seen as a unique character in the wood. I especially like the 2nd one with no band and no other markings...simple but beautiful. Great job!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Very nice,Mrs. TT.I like the bottom one the most.What are the little rings made of? Gary

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice,Mrs. TT.I like the bottom one the most.What are the little rings made of? Gary
Not to worry, but Mrs.TT didn't make the pens (she was replying to my post). Thanks anyway :icon_smile:

The rings are simply grooves that I cut by touching the spinning piece with the pointy tip of my skew. I held it in place (without making the groove any deeper) for a few seconds and friction scorched the wood.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice looking pens Duncan. I also like the second one with the two rings burned in as well. I have done a bunch of pens but never thought to leave out the metal ring and just lengthen them. I will have to try that next time I turn a pen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts