Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be decent price for a new Record 52 1/2 ED vice? A local guy is asking 195. Seems a bit steep, but I haven't purchased a vice before.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Seems high to me too. IIRC, mine was < $50 on sale from Grossman's Bargain Outlet. I know prices have gone up, but that seems really high to me.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
That's quite high, more than I paid for mine new. Then when Record stopped their production, they were clearanced for around the $50 price that Scott mentioned. I have 2 on my bench, one is the 52 1/2, the second is this Jorgenson. The Jorgenson is actually a nicer vise (easier mounting, more smooth QR), and less money than your local guy.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. The bay area is always over priced. I'm going to offer $50 and see where it goes.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The guy sold it for 180 this morning. I guess 195 wasnt too far off market value.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Does anyone know if the Irwin version is any different than the original Record 52 1/2?

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Does anyone know if the Irwin version is any different than the original Record 52 1/2?

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.
Irwin and Record became associated brands within the last decade or so....I've got Irwin planes and chisels that are basically Record designs. It could very well be the same design if it's the 52PD, but not necessarily made in Sheffield, England where the original Record vices were made. Does the Irwin have the quick release option?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts