Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm removing a header board which is attached to a home at about 7' high. The board itself is a 2x5 and is 16' long. I require a saw or cutter that will allow me saw through it in a straight away fashion. This way I can remove it in sections. I tried my saw zaw but it didn't work well. I also have a ROTOZIP which does allow me to cut through the header board but the bit isn't long enough and I cannot locate longer bits. Can someone recommend a tool?

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I'm removing a header board which is attached to a home at about 7' high. The board itself is a 2x5 and is 16' long. I require a saw or cutter that will allow me saw through it in a straight away fashion. This way I can remove it in sections. I tried my saw zaw but it didn't work well. I also have a ROTOZIP which does allow me to cut through the header board but the bit isn't long enough and I cannot locate longer bits. Can someone recommend a tool?

The 2x5 should not be too thick for a reciprocating saw. You might change blades, and there are longer blades than what comes with them. If all else fails, (seriously) try a chain saw.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sawzall is clearly the tool of choice for

this job. If blade performance is your issue, I have been using a blade that really does a great job regardless of what you push it up against. I can't recall the manufacturer but they named it "The Axe". I used one to plunge cut (no starting hole) through ½" drywall, a triple thick 2 x 8 beam with plywood between each stick and sheathing and vinyl siding on the outside to run the exhaust trunk from a stove hood through the wall. It performed beyond my expectations. Try a pack, they should satisfy your needs.

Ed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Working..

It's working like a charm. I'm half way complete. The shorter sawzall blade along with the rotozip is doing the job. The rotozip cuts easier and allows me to start the cut just below the top all the way through and to the bottom. I then use the sawzall to get the top piece, pry and wiggle and it comes off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts