Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am looking to get a miter saw. I want a sliding one with a bevel. I am thinking about a 10". My budget is around $200 $250 max. Any recommendations for a beginner miter saw?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

I am looking to get a miter saw. I want a sliding one with a bevel. I am thinking about a 10". My budget is around $200 $250 max. Any recommendations for a beginner miter saw?

For the price my Sears 10” compact sliding miter saw is a good value. Single bevel but I can turn the board over. Put it on a simple PortaMate stand when cutting decking. Shelf mounted inside at present. Frequently on sale After cutting a lot of composite decking and treated lumber, I added a Freud cutoff blade and couldn’t be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
For the price my Sears 10” compact sliding miter saw is a good value. Single bevel but I can turn the board over. Put it on a simple PortaMate stand when cutting decking. Shelf mounted inside at present. Frequently on sale After cutting a lot of composite decking and treated lumber, I added a Freud cutoff blade and couldn’t be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As stated, the Craftsman Sliding Compound Miter Saw in that price range is a good saw. I have had one for approximately 8 to 10 years. Makes accurate cuts when properly setup and has had no problems.

George

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Sorry guys but I don't buy any Sears tools. Go into a Sears store and ask some questions about a tool that isn't on the computer. I will bet they don't know the answer unless they are a woodworker. You can stay at home and read about it on the computer. :sad2:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Do you really need a slider? In your price range the sliders aren't that good. OTOH, you can find a nice compound miter saw for $100 and have some cash for a good blade. And once again, there's always plenty of used CMS on my local Craigslist selling for half price.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi,
Based on what intensity of work you be doing harbor freight has a 12" double bevel slider and laser for $194( item 61969, 61970 & 61984) , get a coupon for 20% off also , bringing this down below you budget.
It does hold tolerance, but based on using it in a trade business daily, it would not be a choice. This being said, it's very suitable for the home owners use. Better than a hand saw!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
402 Posts
A few years ago WOOD magazine did a review of 10 inch sliding compound miter saws. Sears model 21237 did well in the review and is in your price range. I bought one and have been pleased with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lowes has the Kobalt 12" dual bevel sliding saw for $299; I just sold my Kobalt 10" slider and will pick up my new Dewalt 12" dual slider tomorrow

·
Registered
474 Posts
Sorry guys but I don't buy any Sears tools. Go into a Sears store and ask some questions about a tool that isn't on the computer. I will bet they don't know the answer unless they are a woodworker. You can stay at home and read about it on the computer. :sad2:
Where are you planning on buying it then? If you are expecting anything different from the box store, you are either dreaming, or your stores have better staff than mine.

And, if you are planning on taking the salesman's word for it, why are you asking here?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts