Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a beautiful small stump of a tree that we took from my in-laws yard in central Texas. I do not know the species. It measures about 2x2x3 feet. The stump has lots of interesting curves and character. We desire to turn it into an outdoor fountain. What would be the best way to seal/protect this stump so that it can handle the sun, humidity, and bugs of our Houston home? I assume a paint sprayer-which I have- would be the best delivery method (Unless I can submerge it in a sealer). Also, any idea as to the quantity of sealer I would need?
I can't get the image smalll enoiugh in size to post here.

Thanks

·
Registered
28,384 Posts
How long has it been since the tree was living? It may be some time before you could actually put it to use. The stump would crack as it is drying especially if the fountain is in a sunny location. It would help to know what kind of wood it is. From your description I would guess it is a cypress stump.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
since it was from my inlaws house in Kerrville, west of San Antonio, it was very dry and sun bleached white. It would not be cypress, because Kerrville is too dry for that. It is possible that it is cedar, or juniper.

·
Registered
28,384 Posts
Sometimes you have to coat the endgrain of the wood with PEG or wax and wait for many years before the wood is dry enough to use. If you just want to go ahead and risk it I would coat the wood with an exterior tung oil finish and if the stump splits pour tung oil in the crack.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.