Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be doing a LOT of finishing using General Finish WB, and my old wrists just can't run a brush for very long. I have a Dewalt 5 gal, 5.1 CFM compressor, and not really in the market for a bigger (more expensive) one. Any good recommendations for a gravity fed spray gun that will work "well" at 5 CFM? I'm "ok" with letting the compressor "catch up" every few minutes. I'm not shooting for museum quality furniture finish, just high quantity without obnoxious orange peeling. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You may have seen this reply elsewhere, but I have this one, and really like it. I don't use it with a small compressor, but I've read many reviews from folks who do and claim it works just fine on the small "hot dog" compressors. I bought it specifically for spraying a waterborne, but have since used it for lacquer, shellac, oil based paint, and water based dyes. All worked well. Gleem Paint has excellent CS, and they sell parts for that gun as well.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Let me toss a few things into the fray.

The gun that Fred is suggesting is about $150.

There is an Earlex system out there for about twice that.

Rockler has a system for less than the price of the gun that Fred is suggesting.

I've used the Earlex system in demo mode at one of the trade shows. Spraying water based something a few passes over an easel seemed to be a good gun and system.

I've not used the Rockler system. I have seen demos with the system and the results seemed to be remarkable. The guy doing the spraying was experienced with spraying systems.

With all of that said, the last sentence of the above paragraph is the key to successful spraying.

I have a different system and don't use it enough to be an expert. There are two things that are of extreme importance with HVLP guns, the needle and viscosity.

The needle that comes with the gun is probably OK for what you're going to spray. Also there are needles for very thin lacquer and very thick latex (i.e. House Paint).

Usually there is a cup with a hole in the bottom to test viscosity. Test your viscosity and thin the product accordingly.

Practice with water and some brown paper taped to the wall. Use at least a full cup of water and as much brown paper as needed. When you're doing the spraying, the objective is to have the water on the brown paper dry at about the same time. (This tells you how even you are spraying.) The more practice that you do, the better the end result.

One more tip about spraying. When you are using the spray gun, the wrist does not flex and the handle of the spray gun should remain perpendicular to the object.

·
Registered
26,989 Posts
For the most part the hvlp sprayers use more air than a siphon sprayer. No more air than you have unless you are working on small projects I would purchase a siphon sprayer. I use a harbor freight #97855 sprayer I get for about 20 bucks and it will spray anything. It would certainly work for your water based finish. If you were to paint a car especially with metallic paint then a more expensive sprayer should be used but a cheap gun will spray wood finishes fine. You really shouldn't get orange peal with any sprayer. It is caused by the paint not being thinned enough for the sprayer you are using.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts