Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to woodworking and in need of a recommendation for a new jigsaw. I've read countless reviews from manufacturers as all seem to say their product is the best. I would be using it for small projects at first but as my experience grows, I'd like to not have to buy another one to handle bigger projects. I've seen them range from $30 to over $300. I was told to buy the right tool for the job but not to buy a tool that is overkill either. I've been told that an "average" jigsaw works well if you spend the money on decent blades, is that true? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I have a dewalt that I'm really happy with...I think I spent around 100 bucks.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Ditto

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The Bosch 572 has some nice features. It has roller guides that keep the blade perpendicular to the work piece when cutting curves, not all of them can do that. It also has a nice tool less blade changing feature. The motor may be a little more powerful (7.4 amps) than you find on others. There's also a switchable lamp down near the blade. But his stuff does cost; without the plastic box, it's almost $200. Whether the features are worth it to you is something you'll have to judge. I have the barrel grip model and really like it.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
I dont view a jigsaw as a precision tool so personally I would never even consider a $300 saw. I have a Craftsman with tooless blade change feature, a work light and a case. I picked it up at a local pawn shop for $30. It has a scrolling feature too but I have no use for that. I think the biggest thing to look for is one that will hold its base tight. Ive noticed on alot of the cheaper units, the base will tilt regardless of how well you lock it down and then your cuts arnt 90 degrees.

·
RAM Man
752 Posts
Most of the better brand named saws, Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee, etc., in the $100 - $180 range will do the job. Stay away from the likes of Skil, B&D, Ryobi, HF, and most other $100 or less saws. As important as how well the saw is made is your choice of blades to use with it. You can't go wrong with Bosch blades!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts