Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening,
I am in the market for a new miter saw, need something light that I can carry around, I am 76 thats the reason for a small saw. Need it to do trim work, be able to take at my sons house for the work, I was thinking of a 7 1/4 inch, big enough for trim and crown work. Any suggestions would really help, Thx RJ

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Good evening,
I am in the market for a new miter saw, need something light that I can carry around, I am 76 thats the reason for a small saw. Need it to do trim work, be able to take at my sons house for the work, I was thinking of a 7 1/4 inch, big enough for trim and crown work. Any suggestions would really help, Thx RJ
At work I use a 7 1/4 in cordless compound slider from DeWalt. Because I go job to job the cordless is awesome and it is super light. I can cut all day on one battery. If you are doing crowns, if you don't already, you will have to learn how to cut them on the flat. I learned that way, it is actually easier for me. Best part, $289. I crowned 6 kitchens in 2 days with it last week. https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCS36...la-433810156742&ref=&adgrpid=63364097444&th=1

·
Premium Member
Cabinetmaker
50 Posts
Good evening,
I've got an older model corded Ryobi compound miter saw. I paid around $200 for it and a similar model now sells for over $250. It's accurate and works great, but for me in my 70's, it's becoming a "bear" to carry around. It probably weighs about 45 pounds. The L-ion cordless saws are great because they weigh only about 25 pounds, but the prices start at $250, upward to over $400. I guess it's how much you want to spend to reduce machine weight. I cannot comment on a cordless miter saw because I've never used one. My neighbor just bought a corded Central Machinery 10" compound sliding miter saw for $179 (Harbor Freight). He's a contractor and says that it weighs about 30 lbs., and is very pleased with the all around cutting accuracy. I do own some Central Machinery power tools and have always had good luck with them. They're cheaper and foreign-made, but 90 plus % of the competition is also made in China or other foreign countries. However, the biggest drawback with Harbor Freight is getting needed repair parts - more-so than some of the name brands. If you're really concerned with the weight issue and want to spend some bucks, WORX has a 20 volt cordless 7-1/4" sliding miter saw, advertised for $279. It weighs about 21 lbs., 3 yr. warranty, free shipping. The saw can be seen on the brand's website. Nitro 20V Power Share 7.25" Cordless Sliding Compound Miter Saw

Also, I presently own corded and cordless WORX lawn & garden equipment and I'm quite pleased with the quality (and I believe the brand is also sold at LOWE's).

-Bob

·
Premium Member
3,689 Posts
I was also looking for a portable, the #1 requirement was lightweight, and the Metabo fit that bill. I bought a 10” and regretted it b/c it couldn’t cut 4 1/4” base vertically. To be sure, bevel cutting all that base was a real pain.

A smaller saw is ok, but I would check the vertical capacity. If you’re working with taller base you sure don’t want to be doing bevel cuts like I had to with the Metabo. If you’re coping, it doesn’t matter.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx for all the reply’s, I was researching and found a few, it seems like the lite weight ones are cordless, which will be fine. The Dewalt 20 volt looks nice and should work well, but also seen the craftsman 20 volt, the specs are the same as Dewalt, just lighter. Also looked at the Ridgid 18 volt, any other suggestions more than happy to have, thx RJ

·
Registered
Termite
8,032 Posts
Agree with B Coil, a 7 1/4 I think with handle 3 1/4 crown, but larger probably not..

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would think with a sliding 7 1/4 saw you can cut crown no problem, just do it on the flat, thx for all your help, RJ

·
Premium Member
3,689 Posts
I would think with a sliding 7 1/4 saw you can cut crown no problem, just do it on the flat, thx for all your help, RJ
Not a fun way to cut crown. I would get one that can cut 5 1/2” base vertically against the fence or you’ll be doing bevel cuts also of fun

A 12” will get it done corded or cordless for trim all you need is a chop saw non slider. DeWalt the best.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I agree a 12 inch is nice, but at 76 I am looking for something lite in weight, thats why I am looking at 7 1/4 saws, Dewalt 30 lbs, Ridgid 24 lbs, and craftsman 21.5 lbs, thx RJ

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Dewalt and craftsman both say can cut crown 3 5/8 nested, that’s the size I will be using, thx RJ

·
Registered
mechanical engineering
310 Posts
@RJweb
The only thing I would add to this these what other battery tools do you already own.

I use a lot DeWalt tools I probably would stay with the DeWalt battery type because I already have batteries would matchup.
I add this because several brands that you have mentioned, can be bought without batteries or Chargers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts