Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Been a fanboy of Forrest Mfg. for around 35 years. Not only are their blades outstanding, their customer service is top notch. I always send my blades back to them for sharpening, plate flattening if needed as well as tooth replacement.
Same here. I got a Forrest blade for my table saw and liked it so much, I got another for my miter saw. Super clean, accurate cuts. If it were me, I think I’d call Forrest and tell them what I was doing, then buy whatever he recommended. I like them that much.

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
It’s very subjective and also dependent on the saw and your work methods. For me I think it boils down to longevity more than cut quality b/c there are other blades that compare well. I sent my 40T and Dado King off to Forrest for sharpening and no doubt it’s more impressive than my local service. Forrest sharpening is probably worth the expense if you have a non disposable blade (over $60). .

Other blades - Freud 30T glue line rip is one of THE best blades I’ve ever used on a table saw (chrome not red). Sharp, I can crosscut plywood with no tear out. CMT melamine I’ll put up against any ultra fine tooth.

Buying blades, get the best you can afford, but you don’t need to break the bank. Knowing what I do now, I couldn’t recommend amy $160-175 blade when there are others nearly as good for less than 1/2 the price.

That said, the saw is a factor as well as work methods. Im a big believer in getting a quality cabinet saw if at all possible. I‘m dressing all the edges with a hand plane anyway. And I’m never going to glue up without using a jointer, not matter how good the edge is. But that’s me.

BTW, the only reason I have the WWII and Dado King is I picked up them up at an estate sale for 20 bucks each, other than that I wouldn’t spend the money. Oh, and boy was I glad I had my handcuff keys with me 😂😂. But, at least I can now say I have a Forrest blade…….

·
Registered
Termite
8,795 Posts
Some sharpening services are better than other. A lot of high end shops buy TENRYU....

I won't go near a thin kerf blade other then for the Dewalt slider....

·
Registered
136 Posts
yeah there's no right answer, I'll just start shopping, see what I can find!
I take it your looking to just make it easier to make rip cuts and not to just make it easier on your motor.
That said I noticed you kind of blew off the idea of a thick plate. In this size (12") it helps in keeping the blade from flexing, a really good thing. If not a thick plate then the use of blade support disks is suggested, especially if your using thin blades such as Freud's Glue Line.
I honestly can't feel much of a difference between a thin blade and a normal width blade if both are equally sharp.
It may interest you, my sawsmith claims he can sharpen all of my Freud blades at least 4 times, 3 for most others.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts