Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Termite
8,781 Posts
Just making sure. Many say best and they really have a budget. Reason I ask about brand is that I learned over the years to stick with one quality brand and move on.

For 12", I'd look at sonething with a thick plate...

·
where's my table saw?
31,928 Posts
Folks! I need to rip a Bunch of 1x6 red balau / batu and I'd like some recommendations for a good 12" blade. I'm used to working softwoods mainly so need advice on this one!
Assuming your arbor is 1.00" ? not 5/8".
You will run at least a 3 HP motor? Are you ripping the 1" thickness OR the 6" width like "resawing" ?
I am happy with my Freud thin kerf blades in 10" so I would expect the same performance in a 12"

I have no experience with this company but I've heard good things about them:

Likewise with Forrest blades, I own two of them, but not used them as of yet:

Reactions: B Coll

·
Registered
Termite
8,781 Posts
I guess my first question would be how much did the user use the blade. Some of the time or a lot.

I can oaste plenty of blades on here from the internet, doesn't mean I've actually used it.

·
where's my table saw?
31,928 Posts
yeah there's no right answer, I'll just start shopping, see what I can find!
Yeah, never mind my advice, go for it! Good Luck.

·
where's my table saw?
31,928 Posts
Yeah, never mind my advice, go for it! Good Luck.
So, I checked my stock of 12" rip blades with a 1" arbor, which by the way you never answered that question nor whether you are ripping or resawing..... and found a few including one I had used, a Dewalt 24 T thin kerf.

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
31,928 Posts
No woodn I'm looking at those links and others, I already have the glue line rip, I might just try it and the one I have on the saw now, and not be so afraid of hardwoods!
Softwoods will gum up a blade quickly and it will overheat and bind up faster than hardwoods which in my experience, seem to cut easier.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Assuming your arbor is 1.00" ? not 5/8".
You will run at least a 3 HP motor? Are you ripping the 1" thickness OR the 6" width like "resawing" ?
I am happy with my Freud thin kerf blades in 10" so I would expect the same performance in a 12"

I have no experience with this company but I've heard good things about them:

Likewise with Forrest blades, I own two of them, but not used them as of yet:
Been a fanboy of Forrest Mfg. for around 35 years. Not only are their blades outstanding, their customer service is top notch. I always send my blades back to them for sharpening, plate flattening if needed as well as tooth replacement.

·
Registered
mechanical engineering
432 Posts
these i have are not high cost.
the 12-inch 20T Freud was a little more.

Orange Yellow Font Circle Technology
Font Circle Technology Label Screenshot
Font Circle Illustration Graphics Diagram

As a hobbyist or weekend woodworker, these blades lasted for me for many years including their predecessors. same brands same number of teeth. I cannot tell if the DeWalt or the Freud is any better, i have both Costs are near the same.
I should do a inventory of the blades that I have for the table saw 10" and the miter saw 12" and the RAS 10".

there's probably about 20 of them I believe they're all in pretty good condition.

maybe there are others here on this forum who do use other brands and had good luck with them.

like in quality of cut. the least amount of clean up afterwards.

I wish in the past that I have bought table saw as a 12 inch table saw instead of the ten inch.

just because of it would be to easier swap saw blades between the saws. at the time did not think about it. did I need a 12in more than the ten inch to save money. I try to change the blades based on the work. maybe others approach this differently.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Been a fanboy of Forrest Mfg. for around 35 years. Not only are their blades outstanding, their customer service is top notch. I always send my blades back to them for sharpening, plate flattening if needed as well as tooth replacement.
I love my Forrest blades! And I agree - always send them back to Forrest to be sharpened and you will never be sorry ! Excellent blades and great customer service.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts