1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K…see these?
Rectangle Wood Brick Font Shelving

Rectangle Wood Font Hardwood Wood stain

My question is how are these assembled? Since they are different heights, effectively clamping them all at once would be a huge pain so…do you think they are just individually glued to some type of backer board? Or is there more to it? Like maybe they are first attached to a netting…like the kind they use for mosaic glass tiles…and an adhesive like tough as nails is used to put them on a backer? Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
A cat made me do it.
1,421 Posts
I would use 1/2" plywood for a backer. If the backs of the pieces are flat I'd use ordinary wood glue, if irregular then something thicker. Don't clamp, just leave all laying flat for 24 hours.

How large an area are you thinking of? Depending on size, mounting method etc less or greater strength than 1/2" ply could work.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Bob Bengal Tbh, I hadn’t thought about it yet…I wanted to consider the assembly before the design…I have some pieces of 3/4” red cedar and some 1 1/2” pine boards that weathered beautifully and was wanting to do something with it, maybe a coat rack, clock or something like that…

·
Registered
61 Posts
As far as clamping goes, this would be a good use of small weights rather than clamps. For instance, a few heavy wrenches, some canned food, or small vases or bottles filled with water will add a small amount of pressure that will help hold them in place on the plywood backing while they dry.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Build the whole thing "dry" to be certain that you have a design/layout that you like.
Plywood or Masonite backer, the fastest build will be with a hot glue gun.
Those wood bits carry no load so you can tack it together and redo any that fall off.

·
Registered
28,781 Posts
K…see these?
View attachment 442881

View attachment 442880

My question is how are these assembled? Since they are different heights, effectively clamping them all at once would be a huge pain so…do you think they are just individually glued to some type of backer board? Or is there more to it? Like maybe they are first attached to a netting…like the kind they use for mosaic glass tiles…and an adhesive like tough as nails is used to put them on a backer? Thoughts?
What I have done is laminate the boards on a sheet of plywood. My first attempt failed because I just glued the boards on and let it sit and dry. As it dried the corners pulled up making almost a bowl out of it. I did manage to solve the problem by clamping the panel flat on a flat work bench for a couple days until it dried completely. In hind sight it would have gone better to use a resin glue so it would dry quicker. A resin glue once mixed would dry completely in an air tight container.

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
3,492 Posts
I hope you enjoy digging out the ol feather duster. Around these parts we have gazillions of little spiders that love weaving their oversized traps on everything that sticks out even a tiny bit from the wall..then dust settles and..you know..
I was going to make a similar wall thingie myself then realized our house is shared with more spiders than people.. I should charge them rent and damages..

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@allpurpose I HATE to dust, I am knickknack adverse for that very reason…it’s gonna be somebody else’s problem…😂

@Half Fast Eddie
I’m sorry idk what “toe nail” means, aside from the ones on your feet, of course…lol

@Brian T. I like fast builds…and since you mentioned it, I remember seeing some construction grade high temp glue sticks here recently…

@Steve Neul
Resin might not be a bad idea at all…I could pour a thin layer over the top…it would seal it and make it glossy, and it would also act like a grout helping it stay together…

·
Registered
28,781 Posts
@allpurpose I HATE to dust, I am knickknack adverse for that very reason…it’s gonna be somebody else’s problem…😂

@Half Fast Eddie
I’m sorry idk what “toe nail” means, aside from the ones on your feet, of course…lol

@Brian T. I like fast builds…and since you mentioned it, I remember seeing some construction grade high temp glue sticks here recently…

@Steve Neul
Resin might not be a bad idea at all…I could pour a thin layer over the top…it would seal it and make it glossy, and it would also act like a grout helping it stay together…
I believe you are thinking epoxy. A resin glue looks like wood glue instead it's brown instead of yellow. Epoxy could be used however it wouldn't give you enough open time to do the entire panel at once. You would have to do a few rows at a time and clamp it down before proceeding.

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
3,492 Posts
I HATE to dust, I am knickknack adverse for that very reason…it’s gonna be somebody else’s problem…😂
I probably should mention the Mrs. here is fanatical about nicknacks or chochkeys as she calls them and some have disappeared under the hail of spider webs and dust.. I avoid them and definitely don't discuss my displeasure about them. I just coexist with my spider friends.. They don't bother me and I don't bother them..
They said she was a lousy housekeeper, but she kept the house in the divorce.. Hard to argue with that logic..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts