Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all hopefully a quick question but looking to start my first project using reclaimed wood. I like that it has the crack, knots, and character but I know I need to fill those, but the question is how to fill them without loosing the character and color that comes with the cracks and such. Again first project but if I use colored wood filler won't I lose all the character of the wood. So not sure what is the way to go wood filler or some form of clear epoxy. Thanks for any advice wife's watching this one so trying not to screw it up :)

·
Registered
26,854 Posts
The knots should be a easy fill with any wood putty. You might use a color putty that is close to the color of the knot. Sometimes I use bondo and add a universal tinting color to the mix to make it darker and more brown. Bondo doesn't stain very well so the color needs to be added before it is applied. A crack though is subject to wood movement an while may seem solid will open and close with the change in the weather causing the wood putty to come out. You might first put some bowtie patches across the cracks to stabilize it and use the clear epoxy filler.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply maybe it is a very rookie type question but I really want to see the knots and cracks not hide them, ideally I would see black inside cracks and knots but just based on research and your response the simple answer of using wood filler based on the type of wood I am using is the way to go.

·
Registered
26,854 Posts
Thanks for the reply maybe it is a very rookie type question but I really want to see the knots and cracks not hide them, ideally I would see black inside cracks and knots but just based on research and your response the simple answer of using wood filler based on the type of wood I am using is the way to go.
What I was suggesting was depending on the color of the knots is perhaps use a walnut wood putty on the knots so the putty would be dark like the knot. The cracks though can give you some grief. If you didn't want to see the bowtie patch you might insert them on the back side. You could still use the dark putty in the crack but I don't think you want to see the crack open up some more after you get a finish on the project. This is why I suggested putting something across the crack to stabilize it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts