Woodworking Talk banner

Reclaimed teak wood- Indonesian ecofriend project

15K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  Oneuni 
#1 · (Edited)
I would post my doing in recycling the disposal teak wood or reclaimed teak wood from ex wooden house in Java into ethnic-furniture. the material resources are coming from: 1. The ruin or wreck old wooden house (see picture) It may cause by weather, time, nature-force, etc 2. The demolishing and excavation of a wooden house, mostly by a reason of: rebuild a new house by bricks, cements, concrete or non wood materials. Before developing era, in Java most of the houses are made by wood. The roofs are using earthen clay/teracota that supported by wood structures. Those materials, indeed would having a lot of Nail holes, scratches, distressing spot, chisel trace/hole etc. A little possibility to get a fine condition ones. The fairly one is to make it in Rustic or distress finished pieces. The weathered and the erosion impact on wood's surface would perform an Artistic piece, the wood-line or the wood textures are the bespoke object as center point! bringing a sensation of Nature Art. The rich textures of teak wood is its distinctive character, come along with his solid and durability. Believe that a plenty of Teak garden furniture and beach side furniture from Java had been well known in USA, UK, Europe and many(hundred) of countries.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Indonesian recycle teak wood

In every Java wooden house, the main column structure are the 4 center pillars/pole that been named as SAKA-GURU(=Javanese/Sanskrit).
These teak pillars were in square of 6 to 8 inches,
but what I got now are the 6 inches one.
Not all materials were in fine condition, a lot of them are decaying as crispy and fragile stuffs

After sorting and cutting, we got as below pictures:

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
Restructuring the Reclaimed Teak wood,

Next after preparing the raw, it is going to the cutting and brushing, grooving, etc
for making components part. these poles/pillars could making a big unit piece,
it is not wise to slicing these post/poles into planks.
So there are two options for it, making a gazebo or king size poster bed with canopy.
at last we decide to make it into Poster Bed with Canopy.
to rebuild these refurbish or reclaimed teak with not much to do re-modification.
It come to an Idea, how about to adopt the origin structure of the house:JOGLO.
An ethnic style of an ethnic furniture as Indonesian furniture. Distinctive one.
There goes, been inspired with it, we use and re-structuring the 4 center poles
as the main structure, big poles as the posters and the beam as the canopy.
The 4 center poles are known as SAKA GURU, so did the poster bed was named.

Attachments

#8 ·
Would kill for that stack of dirty old rotten stuff!:laughing:

I salvaged some teak from an old house boat many
years ago and finally used it on my boat. Just
trim and such.

I made my dead eyes with it.

Dagger board cap and handle eyes.

Knees and cleats.

Breast hook.

Many coats of oil!

Raw material.

If you wake up dead and all your wood is gone,

I KNOW NOTHING!

#12 ·
Hou Dee BHOFM Nobody !
welcome my boat to surfing in,
Yea doing recycle the teak too ! salvation boatman.
I though yea only good in Rodeo? is the boat for fishing?
which river that yea gonna on streamin water ?
enjoy the rowing day...
It is primarily a recreational sail boat. It has rowing
capability as well and a very small motor.

I use it on a local lake, 70+ miles, 38,000 acres.

#10 · (Edited)
Poster Bed Sakaguru of reclaimed teak

From wooden House Joglo into Sakaguru Canopy Bed,
an ethnic style of Indonesian furniture poster bed.
Eco friendly wooden furniture,
recycling teak wood project in Indonesia.

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
Joglo's Archietecture element at the Canopy beam & corner

to Stream Winner,

Jee...I really do not know if it is stand for that ? It is better to delete it... what do you suggest ?
And thanks to you, glad to know that you also like the design after Texas Timbers being so,
refer to the canopy, you are absolutely right, it is an architectural element that been adopted from Joglo House,
the 3 stages stacking beam were inspired from the cellar of the mini Atrium at Javanese house=Joglo, known as the "Tumpang Sari"(=javanese)with pyramidal illustration as symbolic of a mountain(=Meru), which also could be found
at most of existing Stone Temples in Java.
Therefore it been entitled as an ethnic piece of Indonesian archie style, from ethnic wooden house 'Joglo' structure.
Tell you what, in my society, the town of carving furniture, many of them had laugh on it, for them it is bare and naked,
no carving ornament, urns, reeds, profile, turning etc. as what been ever made ones as 'Poster-Canopy bed' so far.
but somehow, in my believing, let it be simple and enough for the canopy be as the vocal part...
beside I prefer to expose the teak's texture lines thoroughly as the major tone. it is such the Rhythm of Nature art.
in simple shape but strong natural element. i.e. the wood of Teak.

#19 ·
. . . the town of carving furniture, many of them had laugh on it, for them it is bare and naked . . . in my believing, let it be simple and enough for the canopy be as the vocal part...
beside I prefer to expose the teak's texture lines thoroughly as the major tone. it is such the Rhythm of Nature art.
in simple shape but strong natural element. i.e. the wood of Teak.
Let them laugh. You can laugh all the way to the bank when you hit full stride with your marketing.

I'm with you on the simplicity and letting the wood itself, and what I think is an elegant design, do the talking. It's beautiful. I can also see it dressed up with some simple see-through silk curtains maybe.

#24 ·
Joglo in Lobby hotel & Garden

Streammy .... it is a cool picture of Joglo
some figure of at least 20 grants for it, if by Teak-wood.
old stuff one not a new made unit.
this is 5 stages Tumpang Sari, more the stage more the figure,
Placing it at the Lobby entrance at 5 star hotel would be great !
the carvings, the teak, the unique structure.
But, it also could be in the park or garden with Poly-carbon shelter/canopy.
Royal classy taste...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.