Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This was a piece i completed a few weeks ago for my mother and father in law as a thank you for helping me and my wife with our wedding this passed sunday.

My reason for this particular piece was because they're house is absolutely gorgeous, and the furniture they've aquired over the years is just beautiful, i knew it would be hard to compete with it but i think i did okay.

African mahogany for the legs and aprons, quartersawn sapele for the top, curly maple drawer fronts, poplar drawer sides. Holly/mahogany stringing with curly maple banding.

This was a challenging piece, mostly due to the inlay work. Everything else was cake, even the inlay wasn't necessarily hard, just nerve racking knowing if i slipped it would be over. I did somehow slip on the left leg for the stringing, but it's not too terrible.

I hid the splices on the top inlay with 2 maple diamonds.

There were many misshaps and errors, but i think i succeeded in accomplishing my goal. I'm happy with the outcome, and they're more then pleased. My step father even started feeling underneath to see what i used for the joints!

Finished with 2 coats of danish oil.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Beautifully Done , I bet there proud of you an excellent craftsmanship :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had envisioned different pulls, but i was browsing ebay and my wife liked these so thats what we went with. It wasn't tended to be a direct copy of anything in particular. Just minor cosmetics from the time. Thanks for all the kind replies.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ohhhhhhh........ my.........

Stunning. I am speechless. I had no idea humanity retained the knowledge and craftsmanship to create such beautiful artwork.
I think right now the contrasts are a little jarring- for me personally- but when this is 100 years old and the finish patinas (I assume the pulls are ancient? I would have polished the patina off them so the whole table could age together- and so people know that someone today, in 2013 put their heart and soul into its creation) ...

I would pay you to let me sweep your shop- just to watch something like this get put together.

·
Registered
656 Posts
It looks classy, like the great design especially the banding, inlays and the tapered legs. I'm sure it will fit the in laws' gorgeous house. Excellent work!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts