Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Click on a different thread if you DON'T like dogs...

New workbench in progress... (not a current pic BTW - added 'some' stuff but still working on it - Still got to add dovetail tools/junk to top left corner in this pic)

I like to have a 90deg 'corner' on all my workbenches for doing doors in... I used good hardwood for my 90 deg 'straightedges' and made sure to BOLT them to the tabletop. They are 5/8 thick so I can still beltsand 'normal' 3/4 thick doors without problems or interfence...

(this pic not current - does not show both pieces in place)

Notice how table was built SPECIALLY so that I would NOT have to move my donuts if I needed to sand a door or assemble a faceframe... :yes:

FWIW - Dogs will NOT under any circumstances attempt to 'steal' my food no matter where I leave it laying... (wont take food from 'strangers' either but that is beside the point here) Dogs eat when it is GIVEN to them and they are told that they CAN have it... :thumbsup:

Example:
Bitches NOT told that they could HAVE it:

Bitches told that they could...

:smile:

Got about 10 good coats of lacquer on this so far - Only a few more to go before the final spray and attaching the legs...

Ash feeder is done - Just need to do the finish... Still undecided on color...

Cherry feeders are done (cept for the finish sanding of the doors and panels) - One will be DARK cherry and the other a lighter finish... THOSE are going to be cool! LOL!

These doors still need to be finish sanded but turned out well. Held together with glue and buscuits ONLY. No nails or other fasteners... (I HATE cutting 'small' raised panels on a shaper...) Next feeder like this WILL have a different style door that is NOT mitred...

[

:thumbsup:

·
where's my table saw?
31,238 Posts
nice work ONeal

Help me with this lid. :blink: Do the doors also open on the front side?
If so, why does the lid also need to open?
Is there a warning label...Do not lift lid unless bowls are empty...:laughing:
Do not eat that weinerschnitzel ..... without mustard.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Help me with this lid. :blink: Do the doors also open on the front side?
If so, why does the lid also need to open?
Is there a warning label...Do not lift lid unless bowls are empty...:laughing:
Do not eat that weinerschnitzel ..... without mustard.

I can't predict how someone else 'might' want to use this thing so I covered all bases (or so I thought)...

Doors on front ARE functional (used the euro, concealed, 'slow close' hinges) and inside contents can be accessed that way or...

Suppose someone wants to just take a large bag of kibble and lift the lid to store the entire bag inside cabinet... Can't stuff a 35lb bag of food in through the front door opening but they CAN lift the lid to get it in there! LOL!

I used an adjustable 'friction type' lid support to help prevent someone from 'dropping' the lid on their fingers and getting hurt... Also serves to hold lid in place while adding or removing stuff from inside. :thumbsup:

The entire point of these cabinets is to consolidate dog feeding and dog 'food stuff' into one cute little cabinet and not have food here - feeder there - other dog stuff elsewhere... :yes:

All surfaces inside the cabinet ARE prefinished so any spilled or slopped water is not likely to mess the cabinet up in a hurry... Water 'resistant' but NOT water 'proof'... :smile:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Judging by their dinner dem bitches is spolt!

Very nice bench.

I was digging in the freezer that day and found a package of split whole chicken breasts dated towards the end of 2011... Meat was still fine (no apparent freezerburn) and it was nice outside so I fired up the grill for them. LOL! :thumbsup:

(FWIW - Dogs can't read and will NOT complain about 'old' meat :laughing:)

Took the girls to the TSC after work today...

This is 'their' favorite isle in the store:

I have never had ANY issues taking the girls out in public with me when shopping for tools and such... Lowes, TSC, Sportsmans Warehouse, etc... are ALL very 'dog friendly' businesses and I appreciate places like that and choose to spend my money there vs places that are NOT so dog friendly...

Other customers don't really 'freak out' when the dog owner actually 'controls' his dogs while they are in the store. People don't mind at all IF they see the owner tell the dogs to SIT and STAY and the dogs DO IT...

If I had a nickle for everytime someone in a store told me, "Wish my kids would listen that well..." I would be rich. :yes:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Hey that's a T Hill coffee cup! You a PA guy??

Love the look of those mitered doors. That'll look beautiful with finish on it.

Dobies are great dogs. Intelligent and obedient, if trained the right way that is. I'll bet you could set your sandwich on the tip of her nose and she wouldn't eat it unless told to!

Brian

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why are you working on "crap?"

George

ALL parts for my blue feeder project came from garbage can and most would consider them 'crap' or 'garbage' not worthy of making something out of... :smile:

I saw those scraps a bit 'differently'.

Shot another coat of lacquer on the thing today before work. (stopped counting how many coats it has so far - I will know when it is 'right')

320 sanded first:

Used AirCompressor to clean it off and shot it again:

THIS is the spraygun used for EVERYTHING so far:

It is the second most 'craptastic' gun in the shop but EASY to use and adjust. :thumbsup:

The only gun we have that is MORE screwed up is THIS one:

(and I like it as well - might half-way clean it and use it for a future 'project' just to see if it is 'possible' with such a crappy gun...)

The 'final coat' on this blue project WILL be done with an Anest Iwata gun and that coat WILL be 'right'... (I aint crazy :blink:)

THIS was the 'non-crap' work done today:

A ventahood cabinet for an outdoor kitchen... Spanish cedar... MANY compound angles that made me 'think' for a bit... Not wanting a pile of nailholes in this either made it harder... Seeing as how it is going 'outdoors' - It NEEDS to be solid and last for a LONG time - which makes it even 'harder' to do...

I had the BEST hispanic carpenter I know help me finish this ventahood project. Paco is way beyond 'good' in MY opinion... Today I showed him how to cut angles on our saws that were WAY beyond what they are 'designed' to cut... Our tablesaw only 'goes' to a 46 deg angle but we 'needed' 60 degrees for some of our pieces... Took only a few minutes more to do. :smile:

The only other time he came to me looking for help was with a 'flicted' compound angle on the miter saw... We solved that with shims in less than a minute... :yes: THAT saw goes to something like 60 deg and it was nowhere near enough for what we 'needed' at the time. Shims got what we wanted... :thumbsup:

When fitting joints with compound angles - They GOT to actually 'fit' or the glue is not really doing much...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey that's a T Hill coffee cup! You a PA guy??

Love the look of those mitered doors. That'll look beautiful with finish on it.

Dobies are great dogs. Intelligent and obedient, if trained the right way that is. I'll bet you could set your sandwich on the tip of her nose and she wouldn't eat it unless told to!

Brian

If any of my projects get messed up - It will be because I 'finished' them...

:yes:

I got less than NO skill at finishing... Still learning and STILL asking questions from people that know a lot more than I do about it...

I am 'good' at 'cleaning' spray guns. To claim more than that would NOT be the truth... :smile:

·
Senior junior member
546 Posts
I like the idea of totally enclosing the dog food and bowls in the same piece of furniture. I have taken my large king shepherd bitch into a Staples store lately. Home Depot has banned dogs since about a year ago, after some stupid bitch stuck her face into the face of a chihuahua in their Oshawa store and got bitten for her trouble. If it had been a real dog...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.