Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3 weeks ago my shop got hit,they took everything. They even took all of my wood. I now have to replace everything. The festools I had I loved I will be replacing them. The table saw will be a powermatic just like the one I had. Is Laguna bandsaws as good as they claim? Not sure what kind of jointer or planner to get any suggestions.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sounds like you had some top quality tools. I hope the law finds your tools and the people who did this to you. Boy I would sure hate to start over supplying my shop again with tools seeing I started buying tools over the last 60 years. Did they take everything and if so I would think some tools would be non replaceable. Did you have insurance and how well did they take care of it would mean what you buy for new tools or how much money you have??

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Who the hell steals stationary table saws? These were apparently motivated crooks.

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
I hope you have good recors and photos

see post below

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
I hope you have good records and photos

Sounds like an "inside" job to me. Someone knew exactly what you had and when you might be gone, and for how long.... and what to bring. Check pawn shops OR someone who may be starting up a new shop. Check with "friends" of friends, usually that's the culprit.

Invest in a burglar alarm that is monitored, either silent or a siren. The silent alarm will allow the cops more time to get there before the bad guys leave.

I hope the insurance company, as yet unnamed, will cover all of your loss. Here's what I would do. I would get the final replacement cost as a single check from the INS CO. This is your budget to work from.

If it were me, I would GO GRIZZLY. I have 5 of their tools and they are all fine machines. The fit and finish were as good as I need. I have Powermatic and Min Max for comparison. The number of swirls per inch on the table surface do not necessarily indicate how accurate the cuts will be, just sayin. Ease of adjustment of the major functions is a big issue for me as well as the accuracy.
Grrizzly has several lines of tools from budget to high end and you can choose where you want to shop.

Sorry for your loss, and I know I would be furious and disheartened, BUT this is a great chance to start over fresh... not all bad.:no:

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Searchtempest.com lets you search Craigslist for hundreds of miles around. Use a few of your less common pieces and watch for them every few days. While a cordless drill for example will bring up quite a few results, powermatic jointer for example will only bring up a few that shouldn't be hard to locate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it does sound like an inside job, the sheriff said it is in string of robberies that has been going on. They think it has to do with a delivery guy from a wood supplier . I have a new alarm system on my house and shop now.Think God I had good insurance they are paying to replace every thing. I still had all of the original sales receipt for most of my tools.

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
I have one of the Italian saws (Meber) that used to supply Laguna and I love it. I have never actually used a Laguna branded saw, but if they are still using the same quality, I think you will be quite happy with them.

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
another tip

Sometimes thieves wait until all the stuff has been replaced and come back a second time. Just be cautious and careful. You could announce that you are going on "vacation" but really not go. Just stay home and wait for them to return. Do not take the law into your own hands if you do catch them. If it's legal, wait until the truck gets loaded then disable it somehow.... .45 :blink:
Form a neighbor hood watch group. Take turns watching each others houses......ONLY if you trust your neighbors. :yes:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
So sorry for your troubles - glad you had insurance ( I keep all sales slips, manuals and all serial #'s are kept separate and safe) - and hope justice will be served. Good trustworthy neighbors are a great asset and we watch out for each other. I'm not offended if they notice visitors and my routines. I do the same for them.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I agree with woodnthings, but I wouldn't limit it to just Grizzly. I know they have high quality tools, however you will be outfitting an entire shop from the ground up. No matter what brand you go with, I'm sure any supplier would be willing to give you great pricing if you were to buy multiple high priced tools.

As unfortunate a situation as it is, there is potential to make this work out in your favor!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Very sorry to here of your trouble. It would really throw a wrench in things to have that happen. Thank goodness you had it all insured.

One advantage to having nothing but older, second and third hand stuff is that no thief with any brains would ever steal any of it cause the whole lot would bring maybe $25.00 :laughing:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts