Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a truck project that originally had the 70's era "DiNoc" faux woodgrain down each side. I have bought, several years ago, american chestnut to add to the dash and door panels. I had panned on using something similar to the old decals on the outside. Now I've come up with the idea to use real wood on the outside too. This is a show truck. Not a daily driver. Is it feasible to use real wood verneer, possibly american chestnut, on the outside? This would basically be laid over the steel body with an adhesive to hold it down. Would there be a minimum thickness?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I can't see any reason why this couldn't work. It's not a vehicle that will be out on the weather much, after all. Surface preparation of the body would be important. I don't think you'd want to bond to bare steel so if there's already paint on the panels I would think you'd just have to clean and scuff it. Do some research on what kind of contact cement to use.

Complex or tight curves could be a problem. I would think that 1/32" veneer would work as long as you're careful not to sand through. Then a good exterior poly/varnish to seal the veneer.

Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't see any reason why this couldn't work. It's not a vehicle that will be out on the weather much, after all. Surface preparation of the body would be important. I don't think you'd want to bond to bare steel so if there's already paint on the panels I would think you'd just have to clean and scuff it. Do some research on what kind of contact cement to use.

Complex or tight curves could be a problem. I would think that 1/32" veneer would work as long as you're careful not to sand through. Then a good exterior poly/varnish to seal the veneer.

Bill

Thanks Bill! It isn't over raw steel. It is finished and painted like the rest of the body where I want to do the veneer....if I decide to do real wood veneer. Right now I'm researching what kind of adhesive to use. It has to be chemcal. While this is a show truck, and may never see a rain drop, it does have to stand up to washing. Maybe that is after all the same thing...at least in preparation.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

You could use a PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive...peel and stick), or a paper backed veneer (glued with contact cement). Thicknesses vary from 1/32" to 1/40". They will follow curves in one plane.

They will need to be finished if they are subjected to wet or damp cleanings. I would suggest not to flood with water.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.