Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new poster here. I'm a cabinetmaker that does not necessarily read blueprints. Both shops that I've worked at in my 9 1/2 years as a cabinetmaker have not built from architectural/blueprint style drawings. Is there an online source that might teach me to do this, I've had several shops turn me down recently because the first question was "Do you read prints?" Thanks for your help.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Don't be intimidated by it. The best way to get a fast start is to nab one of your contractor bussies and tell him to give you a cram course. He'll say "Aw there's nothin to it" but of course he's been reading them for years.

You can learn more in 15 minutes with a willing buddy than 4 hours in a book. Not saying a book won't help it will, but the contractor friend will famaliarize you the most used symbols and scales, and show you how to calculate dimension quickly and accurately.

Don't be afraid to ask.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mojo,

As related to the cabinets its a breeze. I'll run you off some photocopies of several kitchen prints and mail em to you. Just pm me or email me an address. Look em' over then you can just start figuring them out.

BULL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts