Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a boat build on the want to build list, I will need to find a way to get some African Mahogany 4/4 to 3/8"X12"X12' for planking stock. My bandsaw is limited to 6", I am in Rock Hill SC, if anybody would like to help..... or knows where suitable boat building wood nearby could be found... It going to be an Asa Thompson Skiff build.

·
where's my table saw?
29,617 Posts
go to a mill, have it done

You can find a bandsaw for the project, upgrading as it were, find someone who has one and will do it for you with your assistance/ Or get it from the mill in the thickness you want right out of the gate.

If you get a new saw, justifiying it because of the boat project, it's a "win /win" new boat , new saw. Maybe not in the budget, however.
Cheapest is to have it milled. I've done it that way with some Hickory, which is rock hard, into 3/8" thick strips. They can sand it or plane it to your dimension also. :yes:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Upgrading band saw, an unscientific study (craigslist and ebay) puts one at $1200-$2000 nearby, I could plane the 4/4 to 3/8" but that would be $$ and wasteful. I would be happy to bring a spanking new re saw blade and beverage of choice to a willing owner of a hefty band saw nearby... that way I would have matching planks as well.
Advantage Trim & Lumber looks like they are based in NY and sell thin stock by the sq. ft...

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Advantage is located just south of Shelby, NC and north of Blacksburg, SC. They are based in NY but have several locations.
Tom

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
One possibility would be to buy a decent used BS,used it for the entire build(assuming here,that there's other cuts to be made?)........then either sell it a bit cheaper(to move it fast)...or....Spiff it up a bit and might make a cpl bucks?

I'd sub it out....just presenting the above because it IS a viable option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts