Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Re: Knife Hinge uses

I've got myself in to it now. A while back a friend approached me about helping him modify a credenza he had by cutting out two openings in the base to allow storage access to the otherwise unused area beneath it.

Simple enough. But as the simple project went on, his expectations grew. His $30 yard sale item is now intended as a "hand me down to the kids" kind of thing.:icon_rolleyes: He now wants the removed pieces replaced and hinged, only he is not satisfied with the idea of using a plain piano hinge, or even a decorative hinge to attach the doors.

The only thing I can think of is to use knife hinges on either side to allow the doors to life vertically (like an old garage door) while remaining hidden.

My question, however, is if the 1/2 particle board from which the credenza is made will provide sufficient meat for this type of hinge? If not, any suggestion on anchoring methods or perhaps different hinges that can "remain hidden?"

No good deed goes unpunished.:surrender: Wow, I'm sounding more like my father every day.

EDIT: Picture added in post below.

·
Senior Sawdust Sweeper
1,595 Posts
You should tell him any attempt to hinge the door inward will interfere with the ability to store anything inside it. You can find hinges that will mount to the back and swing out, adding some trim to the door to beef it up if needed. Inside you should reinforce the particleboard where the hinge mounts.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I've got myself in to it now. A while back a friend approached me about helping him modify a credenza he had by cutting out two openings in the base to allow storage access to the otherwise unused area beneath it.

Simple enough. But as the simple project went on, his expectations grew. His $30 yard sale item is now intended as a "hand me down to the kids" kind of thing.:icon_rolleyes: He now wants the removed pieces replaced and hinged, only he is not satisfied with the idea of using a plain piano hinge, or even a decorative hinge to attach the doors.

The only thing I can think of is to use knife hinges on either side to allow the doors to life vertically (like an old garage door) while remaining hidden.
Can you post pictures or explain better what you want to do. Information like what is there, where the cut will be and what is left.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't see where it said the door would hinge to the inside and up. I did see where he said the door would open like an old garage door, which to me means, it would swing outward and upward.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry about that, it sounded like it made more sense in my mind. So as I kind of mentioned, more-or-less what he is wanting is a garage-style fold up door system hinged at the top.

(sorry, just threw that sketchup together real quick in response, don't have a picture handy)

·
Senior Sawdust Sweeper
1,595 Posts
I see. Theres also hinges made that go on bottom if theres a bottom frame that allows the door to lift and lay flat so items can stack taller than the door and still close. Upon closing the hinge locks the panel upright. Can't remember what they were called. We have a set on a pullout shelf on an old TV cabinet.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see. Theres also hinges made that go on bottom if theres a bottom frame that allows the door to lift and lay flat so items can stack taller than the door and still close. Upon closing the hinge locks the panel upright. Can't remember what they were called. We have a set on a pullout shelf on an old TV cabinet.
Ya I think I know the ones you are talking about but I'm not finding decent pictures of them. If we're thinking the same thing, they're not cheap - at least for a $30 piece of furniture. I'd be spending more than $30 on the 4 hinges.

I think if I can't find anything cheap, I'm just going to mount a 2x2 on the back edge from the door to the frame, drill a hole through it, cut it in half to separate the door from the frame again, then just dowel them together. Stick him with a squeaky wooden hinge! :tt2:

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
This is a remodel of an existing closet, that had swinging doors. They were removed and blocks were added to the top to use ordinary euro hinges. The opening hardware allows the door to lift open and lock open. When lifted again it releases and the door can be lowered. Hopefully the pictures will show, as I loaded them right from my phone camera. This is in the closed position...

This is when the door is lifted and locked in the open position...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts