Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've been looking around for advice on re-gluing a vinyl veneer that is starting to come off of my turntable. I realize this isn't exactly 'woodworking' but I figured if anyone would know it would be furniture makers. I imagine some of you have done some restoration. Anyway, I apologize in advance if this isn't the place -- I haven't had luck on audio forums and now don't know exactly who to turn to!

Basically I'd like to regale the vinyl 'walnut' veneer onto the inner edge of the table. I reckon there is probably dust under the lip, so I wonder what the best option would be. I'm thinking to use a 6 inch (or so) clamp that has a flat edge (if such a thing exists). But wondering if I should first peel back the lip to do some swabbing/cleaning underneath. Though it seems somewhat rigid at this point.

Any advice would be appreciated. Again, I apologize if this foray into restoration offends any of you!

Thank you --

Gramophone record Automotive wheel system Composite material Gas Electronic device

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Probably what has happened is the vinyl has shrunk causing it to peal up along the edges. In the long run you might be better off removing the panel and covering it with a plastic laminate. To stick down what is loose I would gently peal the vinyl back enough you can access the back side and with a small artist brush coat the vinyl and substrate with contact cement and allow it to dry. Then press the vinyl back down. Then with the edge of a piece of wood that has been sanded smooth rub the vinyl to put pressure on it to make it stick permanently. If you could get the controls and turntable out of the way it would be better to use a roller. Amazon.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably what has happened is the vinyl has shrunk causing it to peal up along the edges. In the long run you might be better off removing the panel and covering it with a plastic laminate. To stick down what is loose I would gently peal the vinyl back enough you can access the back side and with a small artist brush coat the vinyl and substrate with contact cement and allow it to dry. Then press the vinyl back down. Then with the edge of a piece of wood that has been sanded smooth rub the vinyl to put pressure on it to make it stick permanently. If you could get the controls and turntable out of the way it would be better to use a roller. Amazon.com
Much appreciated! Just the help I needed. I can remove the top components. The roller sounds right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts