Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to make a new table and fence for my ras. I want to make the front table fixed, and have a fence that is set between the fixed table and a rear table, that can be easily loosened, to enable the fence to be slid to the side for angled cuts, or replaced with a fence for dados.
I've seen designs, where 2 boards are cut on angles, then tapped together to lock the fence, but not sure how convenient, or secure it would be.
Thinking of a couple of straight line toggle clamps, but wouldn't mind other ideas.
The craftsman tables had threaded thumb screw adjusters for it.
Any ideas? Hopefully pictures.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The thumbscrew thing works really well, Dewalt uses that feasture. If you knew of anyone returning their, maybe you could get a set of the C man screws and install them. But I like your idea of the stright line toggle clamps, that might be even faster.....pretty sure I'd skip the wedged tapered pieces. I think they'd hold ,just not be very convenient.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should have some of the CM ras table adjusters, having turned in a lot of them. Even sold some adjusters on Ebay.
But they just have a stud, thet sits in a hole in the metal frame, and not sure if it would work on my Red Star ras.
Now, if I can only find them! In need of a much bigger shop!

·
where's my table saw?
28,746 Posts
basic simple

2 pieces of wood.
A large sheet of plywood for the table, as wide as you want and as long as you can support it. Screw it down from underneath or use counter-bored holes from the top. It doesn't have to be perfectly square to the base or anything ...really!
A 1 X 2 for a fence. Use a framing square off the blade to locate the 1 x 2, far enough toward the rear so the blade tips or covered by the 1 x 2. Screw it down, I used 2 1/2" screws vertically ... carefully, not moving it off of square and put no screws in the blade path.

Make a pass with the saw at 90 degrees, cutting though the fence leaving a blade thickness kerf. That's all I did here:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/members/woodnthings-7194/albums/12-radial-arm-saw/

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The last idea would work for me, if I just wanted a rough cut saw, for just 90 deg cuts, without using a dado blade. I have a basic setup like that now.

Just screwing the table down, doesn't give any easy to way precisely level it. I found some original leveling bolts for my saw and will be using them.

I screwed a fence down a while ago, for my temporary saw, and of course, I had to remove a screw or 2 later, to make a angled cut. Plus, after making a cut 30 degrees off of 90, a piece of the fence, between the 90 degree kerf, and the angle cut kerf, was now loose and went flying.

I want a fence, that is easy to loosen and slide sideways or replace with a dado fence or miter fence. Unscrewing isn't my idea of easy, and if screwed down to the top, there is no registration to position it.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I should have some of the CM ras table adjusters, having turned in a lot of them. Even sold some adjusters on Ebay.
But they just have a stud, thet sits in a hole in the metal frame, and not sure if it would work on my Red Star ras.
Now, if I can only find them! In need of a much bigger shop!
That stud arrangement is why I thought they might be best, but then I'm not sure what the Red Star uses for table brackets. If you can find a place to drill holes for the stud, seems like it would be a snap.....but that a guess on my part.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts