Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of finishing my basement. WHich 1/2 is also my shop. With all the gynastic jumps and bends of getting around all my stuff, which i didnt realize i had this much, cleaning is priority. I have come across soo many 2x4 and plywood cut off's. Why keep the scraps? IM never going to use them. Yet i cant throw them out. I just pray to God i never have to build with them again. I know I know! Keep dreaming. Why cant i be tripping over choice hard woods.

It also seems everything people want me to build for them Is either plywood or painted. YAY!!! for me!!!! UGH!!

If i could burn them outside i would.

What do you do with your scraps?

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I found more pics. These crates were made from scrap pieces of a pallet, but they could be made from anything. Just rip up the 2x4's. DVD storage rack, maybe? I made a couple of them and my step daughter grabbed them before the dust had settled. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are no scraps. They are cut offs and there is always something that they can be used for. That is why you have kept them. If you do not believe, trash them and you will see.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I used to burn all my leftover 2x4 at the end of a project to save space.

Then I started having issues where I needed to create a jig, caul, rest or something of that nature, and realized it would sure be nice to have a 2x4 laying around to use. I now have a couple buckets full of 2x4s laying around. They've also been great for hand plane practice and as others have said - lathe practice.

Curtis

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hardwood scraps I never throw away, till they are about toothpick size :)

The plywood and 2x4 and also mdf scraps all go into a 45 gallon trash barrel for potential use as blocks, making jigs, etc. When the barrel gets full I dump it out, cull out the stuff I'll really never use and put the "keepers" back in the barrel. The culled stuff goes in the trash, since open fires are kind of looked down on here in So. Cal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts