Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks great and different!!

All the other end grain boards I've seen have a repeating pattern but yours is random. I assume that the 15-16 strips going from top to bottom in your pic were done individually and the the 3 thin strip going left to right were added at the end. Are the 3 thin strips all the way through or only "inlaid"? Then to get the top and bottom smooth must have taken some effort!!

Sorry for all the questions but I think its really different!! Would like to try one once I master the repeating pattern ones.

Cheers

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
That looks awesome. But having made basic edge grain boards, I know that took a lot of work.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I like it a lot!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::
I might have to try one like that. The hardest part of a cutting board is getting the squares to line up. With that one it just doesn't matter.

Thanks for the idea!

Reactions: USMCSergeant

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks great and different!!

All the other end grain boards I've seen have a repeating pattern but yours is random. I assume that the 15-16 strips going from top to bottom in your pic were done individually and the the 3 thin strip going left to right were added at the end. Are the 3 thin strips all the way through or only "inlaid"? Then to get the top and bottom smooth must have taken some effort!!

Sorry for all the questions but I think its really different!! Would like to try one once I master the repeating pattern ones.

Cheers
You're right, I did the top to bottom in one glue up, cut square. Then made cuts vertical and put some pieces in. They are all the way through, and it does take several glue ups. Nice way to use scrap though.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like it a lot!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::
I might have to try one like that. The hardest part of a cutting board is getting the squares to line up. With that one it just doesn't matter.

Thanks for the idea!
This is very true. Not near the time is needed to make every little spot perfect. Just time needed for extra glue ups, not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Will probably ask some more questions when I get around to trying one.

Again nice job!!

With Remembrance day coming up, thanks for your service to your Country. I recently retired from the Candian Forces.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the advice. Will probably ask some more questions when I get around to trying one.

Again nice job!!

With Remembrance day coming up, thanks for your service to your Country. I recently retired from the Candian Forces.
Thank you, I appreciate that, and I served with some Canadian guys in Afghanistan on the same FOB, they were absolutely hilarious! Thanks for your service as well regardless of country.

·
Registered
175 Posts
This is great. I both admire the patience I know this took for glue up and applaud the artistic creativity in design. This is like wall art, only functional - which is the best kind of art!

Great work.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys! Someone asked me to make a clipboard with this design and I'll share that in another thread soon. Turned out great

1 - 20 of 26 Posts