Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In thinking about making a zero clearance insert for a router table, do I lower the bit below the surface, insert a blank, and then turn on the router WITH IT UNLOCKED so I can raise the spinning bit into the insert and carve my own hole? It's the part where I unlock the motor and turn it on with it like that, that I don't like. Seems dangerous.

Would this be best to just go to the drill press, set it up and drill the center as close as I can, and live with what's likely to just be close enough but slightly off?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
If you have a good hold on the base, it will be fine. What I do is to tighten the base in just a little snugly, turn on the router, and then loosen the base so I can raise it. The initial start up is where the hard torque will occur, once it's running you'll be okay.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Can you insert your plunge router into the table, and use the plunge base to make the hole?

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
What kind of router are you using. My PC requires two hands because if I unlock it. It will spin down fairly easy. But that's the way I do it anyway. Find a way to clamp down the insert.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I agree. You really don't want a ZCI in the base because you would be closing off an escape route for the chips.

The fence is another matter entirely. I have a couple of different ZCI's made for my table's fence. Those are a huge asset when making certain cuts where the usual router table snipe is very bad, like when shaping small parts.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Only reason I can see for needing a zci for the throat is if your working really small pieces......

·
Registered
12,942 Posts
There is a limit to the size that can be shaped safely. If he's doing stuff that small, he needs a sled, not a ZCI.
Agree.

Plus, if he wants a zero clearance insert he would have to make one for each bit he has for his router. Not like a table saw where one fits all.

George

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well I just wanted one because I thought I needed it. I can see how a zero clearance fence insert would be better and I'm planning to set that up too. I guess I didn't think about where the chips would go using both together. Now I see that can't happen. Sometimes I notice a piece of wood catching momentarily on the opening for the bit that's in my cheap router table now. It has no insert, just a hole in the table surface and the router fastened to the bottom. I was hoping a zero clearance insert on my new table I'm planning to make might eliminate the wood catching.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Duane Bledsoe said:
Well I just wanted one because I thought I needed it. I can see how a zero clearance fence insert would be better and I'm planning to set that up too. I guess I didn't think about where the chips would go using both together. Now I see that can't happen. Sometimes I notice a piece of wood catching momentarily on the opening for the bit that's in my cheap router table now. It has no insert, just a hole in the table surface and the router fastened to the bottom. I was hoping a zero clearance insert on my new table I'm planning to make might eliminate the wood catching.
Using a strong vac will greatly be a help.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Hi Duane, you're on the right track there, you just don't need to go down to a zero clearance. I have several different sized inserts from 3/8" up to 3-3/8". From 3/8" to 1" in 1/4" increments then a 1-3/16" that also accepts PC guide bushings. The increments from there up gradually increase. All together a dozen rings. They allow me to use about any bit without having excessive space around any of them. Makes me feel safer anyway.:smile:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts